IGNORED

Direct Swap??

Yammer Dan

Hey Dan, I know there is a difference from 86 up on the Venture, compared to an 85 , but not sure if 85 Vmax is different in mounting from an 85 Venture. I have considered picking up an 86 up swingarm sometime off ebay, as there is normally not a high demand to later on pick up a Vmax rearend.

RandyA

For a '85 Venture you can use any later Vmax final Drive and it fits bolt on. All You have to do is remove the Shock Bolt and seal the Hole off with some Silicone or similar.

Please stay away from the early Vmax final Drives. You can use any Year from '87 or so up to 2007.

I was looking at a 85 to a 85. No go Squeeze? Need 87 up?

'85 is the early Drive and they broke under Vmax Power. That's why they brought up the newer Drive. I'm not sure when they changed the to the newer Drive, but '85 is definately the not so good Year. If this is still the first Pumpkin, which i doubt on the other Hand.

But there are so much Pumpkins out there, you can pick up any which looks like it might fit. FJR(all Years) is the same Final Drive also. No Shock Bolt to undo there.

Dan,

Have you just thought about buying the ring and pinion gear and installing them in your pig? That or the Sportmax that does the swap, sometimes it's easier to pay the money and have a finished product that you can just bolt in :2cents:

Edited by Squidley

'85 is the early Drive and they broke under Vmax Power. That's why they brought up the newer Drive. I'm not sure when they changed the to the newer Drive, but '85 is definately the not so good Year. If this is still the first Pumpkin, which i doubt on the other Hand.

But there are so much Pumpkins out there, you can pick up any which looks like it might fit. FJR(all Years) is the same Final Drive also. No Shock Bolt to undo there.

Squeeze, Is there any way to visually identify an early V-Max final? I picked up one off Ebay a while back for the '91 and the seller included a washer he said would be needed when installing. I can take a pic of the washer, and put a mic on it if anyone wants???

Squeeze, Is there any way to visually identify an early V-Max final? I picked up one off Ebay a while back for the '91 and the seller included a washer he said would be needed when installing. I can take a pic of the washer, and put a mic on it if anyone wants???

Nope, there's no Way of visual judgeing the Final Drive Year, but it gets worse, there are are at least four Versions for the Casing:

Vmax = Shock Bolt

FJR = no Hole for Shock Bolt/no Hole for Speedo Pickup

1Gen Venture = no Hole for Shock Bolt/no Hole for Speedo Pickup

2Gen Venture = no Shock Bolt/Hole and Thread for Speedo Pickup

Gearing:

9/33 = Vmax, FJR

10/33 = all Ventures, Vmax 2EN(only german Version '94/'95)

To determine the Gearing, undo the Cover and count the Theeth on the Pinon Gear OR mark the Gears on the Outside with a Marker and count the Turns on the Input until the output Spline has made three complete Turns. If you made 9.9 Turns on the Input to make 3 Turns on the Output it's a longer Venture Gearing, if you need to make 11 Turns to get 3 Turns on the Output, it's a Vmax/FJR Gearing.

But watch out Folks, there is another final Drive out there, it looks almost the same as Pumpkin we use. It's used on minor powered Bikes such as the Seca and BT1100 Buldog. The Splines are "upside down" on the Output and the only real visible Difference is the Area where the Output Spline are looks more elevated versus the flat looking Area on our Pumpkins.

Regarding the Washer you recieved... i'd bet it is 20iDx28oDx3 mm thick. This is used to mount a 6.00 Inch Rim on the Vmax and corrects some of the Offset these retrofitted Rims provide. The Washer should go on the Axle between Wheel and Pumpkin.

Nope, there's no Way of visual judgeing the Final Drive Year, but it gets worse, there are are at least four Versions for the Casing:

Vmax = Shock Bolt

FJR = no Hole for Shock Bolt/no Hole for Speedo Pickup

1Gen Venture = no Hole for Shock Bolt/no Hole for Speedo Pickup

2Gen Venture = no Shock Bolt/Hole and Thread for Speedo Pickup

Gearing:

9/33 = Vmax, FJR

10/33 = all Ventures, Vmax 2EN(only german Version '94/'95)

To determine the Gearing, undo the Cover and count the Theeth on the Pinon Gear OR mark the Gears on the Outside with a Marker and count the Turns on the Input until the output Spline has made three complete Turns. If you made 9.9 Turns on the Input to make 3 Turns on the Output it's a longer Venture Gearing, if you need to make 11 Turns to get 3 Turns on the Output, it's a Vmax/FJR Gearing.

But watch out Folks, there is another final Drive out there, it looks almost the same as Pumpkin we use. It's used on minor powered Bikes such as the Seca and BT1100 Buldog. The Splines are "upside down" on the Output and the only real visible Difference is the Area where the Output Spline are looks more elevated versus the flat looking Area on our Pumpkins.

Regarding the Washer you recieved... i'd bet it is 20iDx28oDx3 mm thick. This is used to mount a 6.00 Inch Rim on the Vmax and corrects some of the Offset these retrofitted Rims provide. The Washer should go on the Axle between Wheel and Pumpkin.

Thanks for the feedback Squeeze. Now I'm really confused... :) Oh well, sometimes you roll the dice and take your chances...

The washer I got with the final measures in mm 18.5ID, 34.5OD, and 4.5 thickness. I don't know if it means anything or not, but there are a couple of numbers etched into the neck, and it looks as if the first one has been scratched out. I took a couple of pics and they are posted below.

I'll try and do a ratio count a little later on, and see what I come up with.

Thanks for the feedback Squeeze. Now I'm really confused... :) Oh well, sometimes you roll the dice and take your chances...

The washer I got with the final measures in mm 18.5ID, 34.5OD, and 4.5 thickness. I don't know if it means anything or not, but there are a couple of numbers etched into the neck, and it looks as if the first one has been scratched out. I took a couple of pics and they are posted below.

I'll try and do a ratio count a little later on, and see what I come up with.

Hey don't bihead the Messenger !!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Sorry if i confused you, but you asked for Information and you got what i have in my Noggin about this.

18.5 ID won't fit anywhere there. Shock Bolt is 14mm, Axle is 20mm with a M20x1.5 Thread, Acorn Nut Threads are M10x1.25. But as far as i can see on the Pics, this is a fitting Pumpkin. The scratched Numbers come from Factory and have something to do with Gear Lash Settings.

Hey don't bihead the Messenger !!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Sorry if i confused you, but you asked for Information and you got what i have in my Noggin about this.

18.5 ID won't fit anywhere there. Shock Bolt is 14mm, Axle is 20mm with a M20x1.5 Thread, Acorn Nut Threads are M10x1.25. But as far as i can see on the Pics, this is a fitting Pumpkin. The scratched Numbers come from Factory and have something to do with Gear Lash Settings.

LOL... You have a lot more than I have in mine... :)