IGNORED

Kind of a strange ride today

Venturous Randy

I took a little over 200 mile ride today. It was about 72º and I had just got my Elite III on the front. It was a bit nerve racking as I had several close calls.

I rode down to Knoxville to meet my wife for a meal, who was coming home from a week with her sister in Birmingham, Al. I did not take the approximate 100 miles going down on the interstate as I took the old highway, which now is at least 60% four lane.

I came upon about a dozen Goldwings that were riding about five mph slower than I was and when I passed them slowly in the left lane, for about the first three, I waved at them. I gave up and ended up passing all of them and not one single one of them would even turn their head and acknowledge me as I slowly passed. A few miles later I met about a dozen other bikers coming toward me when it was a two lane, and most all were Harleys and I think everyone waved. Go figure.

I had two different women in SUV's change lanes in front of me, without using their signals, just as I was about to pass them. I had to brake quickly to keep them from hitting me. I almost ran into the back of a car that had come to a stop real quickly in the left lane because the person in front of him was turning left and did not pull fully out of the lane, even though he had plenty of room to do so. I had just moved over into the left lane to let a pickup truck merge, and had to cut very quickly back in front of him. Luckily, I had room there.

When Laura pulled into the parking lot, her left signal light on her Maxima was gone and the panels that go from the front bumper to under the engine were almost dragging the ground. She had just run over a mattress box spring that someone had lost out on the interstate. It done a bit of damage to the car, but it could have been worse.

But, overall it was a wonderful 72º day and all is well.

RandyA

I had about a 200 mile ride today myself. Started out in the mid-60s and did not get much warmer because of going higher in altitude. Rode 5 other bikes, a BMW, Indian, Victory, Honda V45, and two Harleys. Those that appreciate 2 wheels usually get along but the status and image thing of most Harley guys (and now it appears some Goldwing guys) amuses me.

The only time I hear any thinignabout status is when my bike is sitting still. Just today i had a group of Harley riders tell me that the vr was a nice bike and wanted to know how I let her get so dirty. Turns out the guys shine their bikes more than they ride them .MOst of those guys admited that they only put about 1 -2 thoisand miles a year on their bikes. Iwas on a 200 mile turn around trip in the day.

David

I agree on the be careful idea! Most all cagers are not aware of us out there yet. Just had a guy getting on the freeway today almost merge into me till I laid on the air horn for about 5 seconds. He had his "music" turned up so loud I could hear it over the horn! When he finally heard me, it scared the crap out of him! I almost reached out and kicked his car he was so close. The wife and I cut an evening ride short (was gonna go downtown- Big 10 womens tournament, mid-east volleyball finals in town- but decided not to because of the inattentive cagers.

As far as waving at other riders, I'll always do it, regardless of the return. If we treat others as we want to be treated (well, except for those 2nd genners!), maybe it'll get nicer out there.

JMHO

Dan

I took a little over 200 mile ride today. It was about 72º and I had just got my Elite III on the front. It was a bit nerve racking as I had several close calls.

I rode down to Knoxville to meet my wife for a meal, who was coming home from a week with her sister in Birmingham, Al. I did not take the approximate 100 miles going down on the interstate as I took the old highway, which now is at least 60% four lane.

I came upon about a dozen Goldwings that were riding about five mph slower than I was and when I passed them slowly in the left lane, for about the first three, I waved at them. I gave up and ended up passing all of them and not one single one of them would even turn their head and acknowledge me as I slowly passed. A few miles later I met about a dozen other bikers coming toward me when it was a two lane, and most all were Harleys and I think everyone waved. Go figure.

I had two different women in SUV's change lanes in front of me, without using their signals, just as I was about to pass them. I had to brake quickly to keep them from hitting me. I almost ran into the back of a car that had come to a stop real quickly in the left lane because the person in front of him was turning left and did not pull fully out of the lane, even though he had plenty of room to do so. I had just moved over into the left lane to let a pickup truck merge, and had to cut very quickly back in front of him. Luckily, I had room there.

When Laura pulled into the parking lot, her left signal light on her Maxima was gone and the panels that go from the front bumper to under the engine were almost dragging the ground. She had just run over a mattress box spring that someone had lost out on the interstate. It done a bit of damage to the car, but it could have been worse.

But, overall it was a wonderful 72º day and all is well.

RandyA

My older brother who has been riding for 50 years gave me good advice when I atarted riding.

Little brother...ride as though the supidest things will happen in front of you and you wlll be prepared as you can be.

I've had days on the road like that. I have a rule of thumb, if Three, of those type things happen, I pull in at the next motel 6 ( or similiar ) and call it a day.

When the little Birdie, says stop, well I stop !!

I went for a ride on my DR wearing my Aerostich Friday. I was on the four lane about 5 miles and met a group of 4 Harleys and about a quarter mile later a group of Japanese cruisers. None of them waved. If I had been riding my Venture I am pretty sure at least some from both groups would have.

Sorry to hear about your ride and sorry to hear about your wifes car. At least the car hit the box springs instead you which would have been worse. but I glad the rest of the day out better...

Take care Randy

Buddy