IGNORED

Would you run a tire with a plug in it?

Grey Ghost

When I worked doing roadside tyre repairs years ago, we reckoned that what we called 'secondary tyre wall damage' was the greatest problem. That's where people have ridden for a distance with flat tyres. When most bikes used inner tubes, the chafing caused a ring of abraded rubber inside the tyre walls that rubbed away at the tube. I suppose it must also weaken the tyre, damage the balance and worsen the handling, but I've never heard of a tyre actually failing as a result.

!

That is EXACTLY what came to my mind when I first read this post!! I did indeed have a recently plugged tire come apart and get tangled in the wheel because of the above!!!!! If the tire went flat over night and was NOT ridden on while flat then yep, I have plugged MANY tires on my cars and motorcycles and never had a problem within those parameters.. I carry plugs, tools and glue in my tools on my bike when traveling and used them on more the one occasion,,, of course I also do alot of back road and off road travel that tends to produce nagging little leaks!!

'Puc

Personally, it will depend on how old the tire is. If the tire has less than 5K miles, I may take the risk and have it plugged. However, I would never run a plugged tire that is almost bald. * Check your air pressure constantly as necessary and ride safe. :motorcyclehelmet: