IGNORED

Plug-in Hybrid Scooter

Freebird

I like the idea of it, I'm all about not releying on foreign oil if we can. This is the future, and as hard as it is for some of us (me included sometimes) to accept change on certain things, it needs to happen. Folks like us aren't going to buy this, but I will say that folks in the cities will probably go for it like gangbusters. Did you read the 0 to 60 times, 5 seconds....thats moving!

Very interesting...... and I'd ride one. I can see one possible problem. You don't need a MC indorsement on your drivers license to operate one. I can see inexperienced folks riding one off the lot and getting hurt.... or... am I just being paranoid... :)

I think it ridiculous that you don't need a motorcycle endorsement. Through my STAR chapter, I am starting to see alot of new "riders" expressing interest or wanting to join - with virtually no riding (especially in groups) experience. These are all people who have either a) been off motorcycles for an extended period of time to raise families - etc and/or b) purchased a m/c due to the price of gas rising so high last year.

I would agree with Condor - taking a MSF course and getting an endorsement is vital, but it doesn't stop there - you need to keep on practicing and riding, getting miles under your belt. Often I will ask our newer riders how long have they been riding - some will say for couple of years - or more - whatever. When I do the "math", that may only equate out to a total of one year - factoring they only ride couple of hundred miles maybe on a weekend - during the nicer weather, etc. Think of the problems someone without experience can get into - especially if that scooter can get up to speed so quickly!:confused24:

Very interesting...... and I'd ride one. I can see one possible problem. You don't need a MC indorsement on your drivers license to operate one. I can see inexperienced folks riding one off the lot and getting hurt.... or... am I just being paranoid... :)

Actually most states do require either a motorcycle license or a three wheel specific license for any vehicle over 50cc.

Here in saskatchewan, the e bike dealer has found a loophole in the helmet and registration laws as the electric vehicles really dont have any displacement so dont require any licensing ,registration or operator testing.

There is talk about changing the law to a combo Horespower or displacement regulation.

Brian

Here in New York a MC license is needed on any motorcycles (2 wheels or 3 & BTW anything with 3 wheels is registered as a MC) over 49cc. I can see why there would be a problem with an electric bike.

Besides I am not so sure that an electric vehicle of any king is the answer.

1. How long of a range?

2. Will the battery over time loose their capacity to receive a charge, just like all other rechargeable batteries?

3. Is it more cost efficient to pay for my electric bill or for my gasoline?

4. Is it there less pollution with burning gasoline or with burning coal to produce electricity?

The only advantage I see now is the hybrid regenerative braking to recover some of the energy and use it with an added electric motor to increase overall gas mileage!