IGNORED

Reflector question for you all

Colonel

I have 2 questions. The first is about the rear side reflectors that mount on the crash bar. I have installed the saddle bag trim rails which are of a smaller diameter then the crash bar. I have seen that many of you have the reflectors installed on the saddlebag trim rails so what was used to make up the difference so the reflectors stay in place?

Also I have gotten the LED conversion reflector replacements. has anyone wired these up to run as running lights and then blink when the turn signal is on? If so any help would be appriciated.

I replaced the reflectors on the bars near the rear bags and the amber reflector up front with an exact replacement LED I found at JP cycles. I wired them up to the running lights. These units have 15 small LEDs in them and really look good. They come with double sided sticky tap and are an exact fit in that black plastic around the rear bars. The front...I had to take a peice of metal (aluminum) and counter sink a screw in to attached it where the orginal reflector was mounted...I used the sticky tape then to mount it to the aluminum. I also mounted a dual density 6" RED LED light bar under the sides of the trunk and connected it to the running lights and turn signals. I have not found a dual density LED that would exactly fit in the place of the reflectors yet. I know some folks have installed other lights in the place of the reflectors but not sure where they came from. I am going to do my wifes 05 RSMV next week also. See the photos.

I hope this helps.

Guest tx2sturgis

If I remember correctly, the saddlebag trim rails came with small inserts that shimmed up the reflector housings to fit on the smaller diameter trim rails.

If I remember correctly, the saddlebag trim rails came with small inserts that shimmed up the reflector housings to fit on the smaller diameter trim rails.

If this be true, does anyone have a set of inserts they dont need?

I have the same problem on my rear reflectors...they are to large for the smaller diameter bag rails I installed.

Edited by Eck

The rails come with rubber bushings for that purpose. Without those, you could make some out of a tire tube (but I think it would take several layers to be thick enough), the thin part of a tire sidewall down near the bead, or just go to Ace Hardware and get creative. I'd bet you could find a nylon bushing that would be about the right diameter that you could simply cut in half to make two clam shell inserts.

Electrical tape would work, but heat and age makes that stuff get gooey and nasty, so I would avoid it. Maybe the best solution would be some self-vulcanizing silicone tape (Atomic tape is one brand). This stuff has no glue at all, it just sticks to itself when stretched. Get the black color and wrap it as thick as you need, clamp the shell on right in the middle of the tape, then use a razor blade to cut the tape off smooth with the edge of the light. I think that might even look better than the stock rubber bushings that don't always stay in place.

There are several ways to make them blink. The easiest is usually to just connect the ground lead to the turn signal hot; if you have regular bulbs in the turn signals, the running lights will get the ground through them for normal lights, and then blink off when the turn signals come on. An alternative is to connect them through a normally-closed micro relay (Radio Shack), and power the relay from the turn signals so that it opens up when the turn signals blink on. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Edited by V7Goose
New thought on silicone tape

For spacers I use black plastic tubing (like you use for sprinklers) or rubber splicing tape. I get the tubing larger than the the pipe size and use a razor knife to trim to fit the diameter I need. Any hardware store will have them. Rod

The rails come with rubber bushings for that purpose. Without those, you could make some out of a tire tube (but I think it would take several layers to be thick enough), the thin part of a tire sidewall down near the bead, or just go to Ace Hardware and get creative. I'd bet you could find a nylon bushing that would be about the right diameter that you could simply cut in half to make two clam shell inserts.

Electrical tape would work, but heat and age makes that stuff get gooey and nasty, so I would avoid it. Maybe the best solution would be some self-vulcanizing silicone tape (Atomic tape is one brand). This stuff has no glue at all, it just sticks to itself when stretched. Get the black color and wrap it as thick as you need, clamp the shell on right in the middle of the tape, then use a razor blade to cut the tape off smooth with the edge of the light. I think that might even look better than the stock rubber bushings that don't always stay in place.

There are several ways to make them blink. The easiest is usually to just connect the ground lead to the turn signal hot; if you have regular bulbs in the turn signals, the running lights will get the ground through them for normal lights, and then blink off when the turn signals come on. An alternative is to connect them through a normally-closed micro relay (Radio Shack), and power the relay from the turn signals so that it opens up when the turn signals blink on. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

So if i understand this right? the ground lead goes to the blinker hot and the other lead would go to the brake light hot? Wired like this the reflectors will blink opposite of the regular blinkers? Do you really think a relay is required for such a light load? Thanks again

So if i understand this right? the ground lead goes to the blinker hot and the other lead would go to the brake light hot? Wired like this the reflectors will blink opposite of the regular blinkers? Do you really think a relay is required for such a light load? Thanks again

You wire them to the running lights and turn signals, not the brake. If they work like that, no relay is necessary.

Goose

I replaced the reflectors on the bars near the rear bags and the amber reflector up front with an exact replacement LED I found at JP cycles. I hope this helps.

Would you happen to have the part #'s for those lights available? :mo money:

• 3 weeks later...