IGNORED

Stator testing

Hi Everyone, did some searching first but didn't find the answer so here I am. Opened up my repair manual and everything I've read out here said the same thing. The stator plug (3 wht wires) is behind the engine left side, manual said it was behind the side cover. It ain't there. I've looked just about everywhere I can look, got parts scattered and still no plug. Any thoughts? I'm thinking I've got a rectifier problem, I'm reading high voltage (about 17)at the battery, although it is new (Odessey and it came fully charged according to their specs) and it might possibly be charging up. I just want to check the stator windings too.

Bought the bike used, sorry thought I had put the year in my first post, it's an '01. I found the wires coming out of the back of the stator (wrapped) and they are heading towards the rear of the bike, then I lose them in the wiring harness.

I think the original plug is barely accessible in front of the bottom of the battery (under the fuel filter). Pull off the two side covers and the front cover; you can access it from the right side of the bike, almost dead center. The plug is very hard to reach as it barely comes out from under the metal bracket that holds the coolant overflow tank. The overflow tank is very easy to remove, so you might as well. You will think that might give you more room for your hands, but it doesn't really!

I hope that is right, as I am just going from memory! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Maybe this will help you locate that wire. Since your bike is a few years old its possible that the plug is completely covered in grease and grime. Best access is from the right side of the bike, removing the side and front covers from the battery box, the overflow tank and the horn. Look down into the abyss just under the center but about level with the shock. You may see what looks like a black hose. Wipe off the grease and you just might find that connector......Happy hunting.....

Thats a new one. 17 V will fry the battery, most likley.

Its possible a former owner cut out the plug, and spliced ther wires together. ( just a thought )

Usually a bad stator, or problem with the plug will cause Low Voltage.

When you get to the Regulator/Rectifier Unit. pull out the plug and Check for problems on the Pins in that plug.

If you find no wireing problems, or plug problems, then sounds like a bad Reg/Rec Unit.

Found the plug (thanks, ruffy) and was able to test the stator, it's fine. With the voltage readings I was getting at the battery, I kinda figured it was the reg/rec all along, funny thing is, it tested ok too (the diodes at least). So I'm putting everything back together and am going to run it and there are a couple of other tests that can be run while the engine is running. Maybe I just got a funny reading the first time around. Thanks for the info on the plug for the stator. I thought I was losing my mind at first, when I couldn't find it on the left side, figured I was headed back to CVS to update my reading glasses and get the super magnifiers.

Rek, do what George said and check the connector pins in the plug that plugs into the rectifier. Mine were so worn that they barely made contact. And they were corroded. That so called waterproof plug will come apart. Dont ask me how. An electrician friend of mine disasembelled it for me. I believe there are clips that hold it together. Be gentle. If the pins are worn you cannot replace that plug by itself. Its part of the harness...the $300.00 harness! You can try and hang the rectifier off to the side and hook up your DMM to the battery and wiggle the plug to see if you get a different reading. If it varies then id say the pins are worn.