IGNORED

Just back from riding the Florida Keys

Grey beard

Two friends and I abandoned Northern Indiana last Thursday, trailered bikes down to warmer climate, and rode over 1000 miles including the Keys. Great warm weather, and it was good to get back in the saddle, if even for just a few days.

Can't wait for the Indiana weather to get through raining, snowing and start acting like it cares about letting us get back on the road again.

I left home (Central Alabama) last month and rode down there. Took 5 days and rode 1866 miles. The Keys are really nice and the water is the perfect color. That Windows island picture could have been taken there.

If you find yourself in Key West for the sunset, go to Mallory Square and see the street performers. Most are pretty neat and the sunset is more than words can describe. While standing there watching the sunset, I turned around and it felt kinda weird to see about 150 people standing there with me doing nothing but watching the sunset.

I drove the keys years ago and was heading out to do some early morning fishing when we hit a cloud of bugs so thick we could not see through the windshield. Talk about bugs in your teeth if you were on a bike!

Those are know here in Florida as Lovebugs and you want to get em washed off your paint as soon as you can. They tend to be acidic in nature and can ruin your finish.

During the Lovebug season its not uncomon to see vehicles completely covered over the front end. When you hit one you are really hitting two because they are mating in air! Thus the name!

I used to live in Key Largo, working on the mainland (Homestead). There were a few days each year when on the stretch between Homestead and Key Largo, these birds would dive on the bugs around US1, making it a pretty hairy ride on a bike. I hit/killed three on one trip down "the stretch". Not much you can do but keep your head down and hope for the best. I used to love riding down to Key West, but was back there a few years ago in a cage and was dissapointed when I saw how much traffic there is now. I'm sure I'll ride down there again in the not too distant future. This Ohio weather's gettin' old.:depressed:

My wife and I rode our bike from Albany, Georgia to the keys memorial day week in 2006. Rode over 1700 miles. I enjoyed it but wouldn't do it again. If I did it would be in early spring or autumn. The heat is south Florida was terrible. We went to Mallory Square and I almost got in a fight with one of the acts. It was a black guy that said he was in the houdini escape artist hall of fame. First he asked, "If you're in Key West for the first time raise your hand." Most people raised their hand. He then said, " Hi, I'm Jimmy Buffet." I then said, "Hey, you've been out in the sun too long." He came over to me and chewed me out and said, "Let me tell you something sir, I tell the jokes around here." I balled up my fist and gave him the up your a** gesture and said, "Up yours buddy." He came back over and chewed me out again and I gave him the same gesture and said, "Up yours again buddy." My wife walked away from me and wouldn't get close to me. I don't understand why. At the end of his performance he said, "Now I've done my best to give all of you a good show, so now it's your turn to show me that you appreciate what I've done." I'm going to pass this bucket around and you can show me how much you enjoyed my show by putting money in the bucket." A guy started to walk off and the escape artist shouted, " Hey you bastard, come back here and put some money in this bucket." I don't know if the guy is still in Key West performing or if he has been killed.

If you find yourself in Key West for the sunset, go to Mallory Square and see the street performers. Most are pretty neat and the sunset is more than words can describe. While standing there watching the sunset, I turned around and it felt kinda weird to see about 150 people standing there with me doing nothing but watching the sunset.

Pretty amazing wasn't it!! My wife and I were there 3 years ago for our Niece's wedding....which was held at sunset no less. It is a daily ritual for folks there to watch the sunset like that.....puts a nice ending to any day.:draming: