IGNORED

Just got robbed!

Guest ReinyRooster

Guest ReinyRooster

I just bought one of the keys...for $5.00, if it helps it's money well spent. Can someone explain to me how it works? I understand it generates a random number for you to input, but what does it match up to at PayPal to show them that it's you? What's to stop anyone from just generating a random number of the right number of digits?

I have been dealing with Ebay and paypal for near 8 years or so now. And I have sent ebay endless scam letters. Which they follow up on too. The problems I have seen and have been having now and in the past is when you go to your email, you will see an email that seems to be from Ebay or paypal. Bad thing is more than likely it is not from either Ebay or Paypal it is from a regular guy with a page that may even look like an ebay paypal site. You click on the link they provide and first thing they ask you to do is sign in. As soos as you under user name and password you have just given them access to your account.

Never ever reply to any (email link) where you have to log in. If Ebay or paypal or my bank or anyone alerts me that something is wrong with my account I instanly exit out of that page and go to the link through my favorites or make a new link through internet explorer.

I get hit 1 to 3 times a day through junk mail where they attemting to scam me. They will take over your good ebay ratings and run you through the mud with buy it now scams like ( BUY IT NOW ) 2006 Harley Davidson ELECTROGLIDE Motorcycle Factory left over ZERO miles $15,000.00 ACT NOW !!!!!!!!

And if you give them paypal password ..or your paypal password is the same ebay password they can get all your cash left in your account instanly.

But I once in a few of my ebay ads I put in my email address wow! For weeks I was now getting these scammers emails going now not to my junk email , but now right into my mailbox because they now have my proper email address

Bottom line for safety just never click on their link use your own BRAND NEW link

I am new to you guys and your site here love your site and you guys letters thoughts ideas........Hope to see and hear from you all soon in the near future.......Bruce North Carolina Always loved to ride all my kids start to ride when they were about three or four years old all five kids LOL :2133:

I just ordered one of the fobs too, but I am wondering what would happen if somebody got your password and ID and had a fob of their own.

Each fob (AKA Token) is linked to a single account. so a thief would have to have your user name, password and the token in their possession, which if they don't live in your household would be reasonably difficult to do.

The technology is reasonably secure as long as the thieves don't have the RSA SecurID seed file introduced to PayPal's server, which RSA and PayPal probally protect quite well.

Read THIS article at Wikipedia for more info on the technology.

In my opinion, the $5 just covers shipping from PayPal. they are paying for the tokens and services from SecureID. I think they charge the $5 to keep people from loosing them too often, also the account would be locked until you could get a new token, if you misplaced yours................

I might get one as I pay for individual text messages on my mobile phone.

Happened to me about 3 weeks ago. Actually they got my wife’s debit card number. Funny thing was that I received a letter from the card company informing me that they thought my card was being used without my knowledge the day after I noticed charges which were not ours. Now they mailed the letter out 4 days before I noticed any charges. What’s up with that?

I had about $2300.00 in charges the very next day, all from India. I called the card company and asked them what was going on? Why did they allow the charges when they knew my account was compromised? They could or would not tell me how they knew.

The lady I was speaking with immediately canx my number and refunded all the money. They issued new cards and I’m still waiting for them to arrive.

The lady told me that there has been a large upswing in stolen card numbers in the past 6 months. She also told me that her son and daughter had there info jacked. What's the world coming to?

Life just has not been the same since, I had to inform 5 company’s that I have auto payments with that the card was compromised and that it was canx so they would not be able to charge the card. Man what a pain in the butt that was, I’m sending checks out to those people until I receive my new cards.

The really bad part is that I’m not getting any movies from Netflix, now that’s a real bummer.

I’m now living in fear and paranoia….

I just ordered one of the fobs too, but I am wondering what would happen if somebody got your password and ID and had a fob of their own.

nothing. They cant log in unless the fob serial number matches you fob serial number. so they need your username, password, and get you to read your fob serial number to them, AND reprogram the secure chip inside the fob to emulate your fob. Way outside the capabilities of the typical thief.

Also be sure you never follow a link to paypal(unless you are paying at ebay). always open a new web browser window and type in http://www.paypal.com they like to send you links in the email saying your paypal account is dead, click here to re-activate it.

basically I never click on any link emailed to me. Email can not be trusted for any reason.

The fake ebay and paypal emails are pretty easy to spot. 1) they never call you by name. They start out say something like Dear Ebay customer or Dear PayPal customer. Ebay and PayPal will always great you by name. 2) and like has already been mentioned Ebay and PayPal will never ask for or to log in. In fact if you ever deal with any company that sends you an email asking you to log in you should not do it. Back out go to their web site log in.

I got 2 letters from Lowes the other day denying me credit. Someone had applied for 2 credit cards in my name a few days apart. One was turned down for not enough info and the other for applying too soon after the first one. They tried but I didnt get stuck. Hope it stays that way. I have perfect credit with all the credit bureaus and they flagged my account to keep me from getting burned. Lyle

I just got off the phone with Paypal,

I talked with them about my idea ... They said that is aGREAT-- VERYGOOD IDEA!

What I am going to do is. ADD a Second Checking Account, have the TWO

small deposits made into it. then Confirm it. (then it gets activated)

Then DELETE my account that I keep my whole life in.. and if robbed I would

be up a creek with-out a paddle account that I have had with paypal for over 10 years now.

I have Four accounts that We move money around ON-LINE and can be done in (all are free accounts)

less then 30 seconds...

So my plan is in the future , Is that when I buy something on eBay or whatever;

I transfer the moneys from my main account to the NEW ALWAYS A ZERO BALANCE

ACCOUNT... then paypal will take the fee's from that account. ONLY the Exact Amount each time.

Then when paypal transaction is completed that account will be EMPTY! and STAY EMPTY! (so robbers will never be able to take my money)

unless there on the ball and get it with-in like 4 mins I guess after a transfer.

This is My Fix to future problems with this kind of thing.

Jeff

Breaking rocks at Robben Island Prison, South Africa

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa167/hlaltimus/robbenislandprison.jpg

These poor guys probably didn't deserve this kind of "hard labor", but modern day, high tech money thieves sure do.

Guest ReinyRooster

Well, PayPal has finally finished their investigation and I have been reimbursed any money that was paid out. That's fine with me, although I wish someone from PayPal would have the decency to explain to me how something like this happens and what they are doing to keep it from happening anymore.

Have order one of those security keys, hopefully that will help.