IGNORED

Some Issues with the bike.

Well, I'm finally back from Iraq and took the bike out today. Ran fine except for a little overheating... The coolant reservoir showed fine, but when I opened the radiator it was very low. Added some coolant and the bike ran cool. I think there may be a small leak as I noticed a few drops of coolant on my right toe.

While returning home, I had a fall off of power, kind of a bogging down when I got off the freeway. had to run it in 2nd to get home and keep the rpms around 4k.

When I got home I noticed some fuel leaking in front of the rear wheel. I had that problem when I first got the bike, but can't recall how I fixed it. I also noticed the right rear spark plug wire had come loose and reinstalled it.

After restarting the bike, It would try to stall unless I very slowly applied throttle... too fast, it bogged down and died.

I pulled off the air cleaner and noticed that the two carb slides on the left side of the bike were stuck open. and I mean stuck. pushing the slide on #1 wouldn't open it at all. #2 would push open but not close back.

Noticed some "backfiring" from the right side carbs also

I've been searching the forums for about 2 hours now, and I think I'm at the point where I'm imagining everything I read could be the problem.

I definitely need to check the diaphragms, and I need to search a bit more about how to drain and clean the bowls. I need to check the tank for rust and water. I'm not really wanting to do a full carb rebuild/cleaning, but worst case I'll mentally prepare for it.

Does anyone here have any other Ideas or Input? perhaps a pointer to some good writeups? I do have the service manual and have found a good how-to for the diaphrams so far.

Thanks,

Mark

First thing, welcome home!!

Next, I want to suggest that you bite the bullet and take the carbs off and do a good cleaning job. One of the big problems on these bikes, especially if they have set for a while is glogged pilot jets.

It is a lot of work, but you will be happy with the results.

If you have holes in the diaphrams, there is a fix that works fairly good for a while. Maybe all of us that want diaphrams can get some on this buy we are investigating.

RandyA

Try a complete tank drain, and carb bowl drain. ( drain all 4 bowls, and let the pump run some gas thru each one seperatly )

Then try new gas with Sea-Foam. It might just work !!

fuel comeing out those overflow lines, means one of the Float Valves is stuck open.

Sea-Form might clear it up.

Hey Mark,

I too welcome you home and Thank You For Your Service! I second the motion on the Seafoam after the tank and Carb. Bowel drain. Try a few tanks of gas with the Seafoam. Here is a link for the Carb. Diaphragm replacement:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32052

As far as the Coolant problem goes, check the line from the overflow tank to the radiator for pluggage. Could just be a sticky thermostat, regular riding will help that. The coolant by your right toe is from the water pump, which has a ceramic seal in it that doesn't like to be "dry". In other words, ride the bike regularly and if the coolant continues to leak, you may have to do a water pump rebuild. My 86'VR is the one that drips there when I don't run her regularly. If I ride her 2-3 times a week, no problems. The other thing to check is the fan, make sure it turns on when the temp. goes up. Right side of bike, behind the radiator side cover, two wire plug,if you connect battery power to that plug, fan should run. If fan runs, there is the temp. switch and I think a relay to auto cut on fan at higher temp.

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
Crayon Broke!

I appreciate all the quick responses.

I will definitely run the seafoam... I think that's what cleared it up the last time, but I didn't drain the tank or bowls then. I will this time.

As far as a full carb teardown and clean... is there a parts kit or list of items I should have on hand when I begin?

I'm basically not "allowed" to ride. (we have to take the MSF course again when we redeploy from Iraq) and My tires are too worn to take the class. So, since it will be awhile before I can afford new tires, it's a great time to start on all the bike projects I've been putting off.

Thanks,

Mark

Welcome home and thank you, brother! You may try wasting a can of aerosol carb cleaners down the throats as well to get the sliders to free up a little. Sounds like the carbs have varnished up from setting. I am in agreement with the needle valves being stuck open causing the fuel leak. A few taps may unstick them but it almost sounds like you are in for a carb teardown and cleaning...