IGNORED

Fuel pump

Guest Boss Hogg

Guest Boss Hogg

After rebuilding the #2 carb cause it was dumping fuel out the overflow got the bike running and everything adjusted went to go for a test ride and less then a 1/2 mile from the garage it died like it ran out of gas got it back home and checked the fuel pump relay and power to the relay and checked resistance of the #2 coil little higher than the tolarance,the pump runs for the start up 5 seconds but not much fuel comes out,maybe 5 cc at the most, How much fuel should it be pushing? enough to get pressure to the carbs?

I dunno, but as an excercise I found that 5cc in 5 sec equates to about 1 gal per hour, which is not enough. You don't need much pressure, just enough to push it uphill to the carbs, but you need several gal per hour. When I'm doing 80 I get mileage in the low 30's if I'm lucky, meaning I'm using almost 3 gal per hour. When you go WOT you can reportedly do 120mph, at which you probably get less than 20 mpg, which would take 6 gal per hour.

Maybe your filter is clogged.

Jeremy

I dunno, but as an excercise I found that 5cc in 5 sec equates to about 1 gal per hour, which is not enough. You don't need much pressure, just enough to push it uphill to the carbs, but you need several gal per hour. When I'm doing 80 I get mileage in the low 30's if I'm lucky, meaning I'm using almost 3 gal per hour. When you go WOT you can reportedly do 120mph, at which you probably get less than 20 mpg, which would take 6 gal per hour.

Maybe your filter is clogged.

Jeremy

nice Math ....

I second your Thoughts

Guest Boss Hogg

After sleeping on it I went out to check the fuel pump had power and pump kinda pumped fuel and I pondered where to get a fuel pump and also pondered what new bike I might get, and for some reason I looked at the fuel line from the filter to the petcock and I gave it a tug and low and behold fuel started to enter the filter so now I'm going in to bend a hard line with rubber ends to attach to the petcock and filter. But a question for all:does some company make a aftermarket petcock with a 90o bend at the petcock

Guest Boss Hogg

yeah Not sure where but I cut the factory hose last year and I have never been able to get the fuel line not to cut. tomorrow I'm pulling the rear tire and Installing a hard line with flexable ends reinforced with hard lines at the bends

• 1 year later...

Last fall I was cruising and the bike just died, from easy riding at 60 mph to 0. It just died. I got it to restart but it wants to run with the choke 1/2 on. Had to haul it home and after some tinkering got it to run. Then it died again. same deal as before will run with the choke 1/2 on. As spring approaches I have tried to get it going but no change runs with the choke 1/2 on. Just like it is out of gas. I have cracked a fuel line at one of the carbs and there seems to be lots of fuel, and I can hear the pump click. Any one know how much fuel preasure the fuel pump should put out. Or have any idea's.thanks frank

Last fall I was cruising and the bike just died, from easy riding at 60 mph to 0. It just died. I got it to restart but it wants to run with the choke 1/2 on. Had to haul it home and after some tinkering got it to run. Then it died again. same deal as before will run with the choke 1/2 on. As spring approaches I have tried to get it going but no change runs with the choke 1/2 on. Just like it is out of gas. I have cracked a fuel line at one of the carbs and there seems to be lots of fuel, and I can hear the pump click. Any one know how much fuel preasure the fuel pump should put out. Or have any idea's.thanks frank

Just for the heck of it set all of the idle jets to 2.5 turns out from closed.