Don't know why I didn't think of this before and maybe this is what Dave is saying too, but on my battery tender I have it hooked up to the clips. The positive has the fuse and obviously hooked up to the positive battery terminal. So I can determine positive/negative from there assuming for other items that use the same pigtails and the positive/negative work the same way. I can use my multimeter just to be safe.

Which side? the side on the bike or the side on the battery tender????

IIRC, they are the same plug with reversed polarity.

It makes sense to me that the plug on the bike, the exposed connector should be ground and the insulated half is hot.

Battery Tender Plus instalation instructions are HERE. Look at the top of page 2.

Edited by KiteSquid

Harold/ Jerry - I should have been more specific. The bike side pigtail has the insulated hot and exposed ground, I guess to reduce the chance of accidental grounding. The transformer side would be just the opposite but the chance of grounding is fairly small.

Thanks for helping with the clarification!!

Dave:missingtooth:

Harold/ Jerry - I should have been more specific. The bike side pigtail has the insulated hot and exposed ground, I guess to reduce the chance of accidental grounding. The transformer side would be just the opposite but the chance of grounding is fairly small.

Thanks for helping with the clarification!!

Dave:missingtooth:

Dave has exactly what I just found out tonight. On the bike side, the positive is the insulated side which also has a fuse on it.

My plan is to have the pigtail connectors to the battery and have it hooked up to the battery tender when I have it in the garage. The previous owner smoked (I do not) but he installed a cigarette lighter. I want to go back and re-wire what he did to include pigtails so when I am riding it will be hooked up to the battery.

Considering the connectors have a reversed polarity, I need to make sure the insulated side that is connected to the cigarette lighter is connected to negative side of the battery?

Thanks.