IGNORED

WD-40 on Throttle cables?

Mordalo

Greetings!

So, I'm thinkin' I need to lube my throttle cables to see if that keeps my Cruise Control from disengaging right as I start to scratch that itch on my... face.

Please allow me to 'splain: No, I don't have fringe on my clutch/brake levers. I've owned this 99RSV since early 2007(ish) and as long as I've owned it, the Cruise Control will randomly disenguage on me. ususally within seconds, but sometimes as much as a several minutes after I enguage it. Originally I just assumed it was my... generous surface area adding wind resistance causing the CC to quit. Then I started testing it more sceintifically. It doesn't appear to be wind drag on my beer gut. I proved this by going 55MPH with a 45MPH tail-wind, giving me much less wind drag (going on a diet would take too long). I next thought that maybe one of the cancel switches was just reacting to a bump in the road. Soo.... I picked a nice, level, recently paved stretch of road (which is VERY hard to find in this town) with no bumps or asphalt-snakes. The CC disenguaged at seemingly randomly intervals. I did however notice that my throttle does tend to drag just the tinyiest little bit.

Okay... now that I've gone through all that, my ACTUAL question is, what kind of lube should I use on throttle cables. Sorry all, but my wife already beat all of you to the smartarse "throttle cable lube" response. Since tomorrow is Sunday and the scoot-store is closed on Sundays here and I'm entirely too impatient to wait until Monday, I was wondering if there were any good/bad substitutes for throttle cable lube.

Discuss...

Sorry all, but my wife already beat all of you to the smartarse "throttle cable lube" response. Since tomorrow is Sunday and the scoot-store is closed on Sundays here and I'm entirely too impatient to wait until Monday, I was wondering if there were any good/bad substitutes for throttle cable lube...

Yeah... I've heard that somewhere... :hihi:

Check the Switch on clutch lever, it disengages the Cruze, when clutch pulled.

Was very common problem on 1st Gens, it may be same on 2nd gens, but I'm not sure.

I made a small bracket to hold the switch tightly in place, on my 89. That fixed the problem.

do not use WD-40, it is not actually a lube, it is designed to displace water, it will actually dry out and make things worse. If you don't have access to actual cable lube, light oil, like 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil will work.

But get real lube,,,

Cycle Gear

5000 Cutler Ave, NE

Albuquerque, NM 87110

open sunday 10-5

You can pick up cable lube at any car parts store

I hadn't even thought about checking a cage-parts store! I don't go there very often. Thanks!!

The cutoff switches are next on my list of things to troubleshoot. I'm hoping I don't have to go down that road. I pretty much suck at troubleshooting electrical switches (see http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31382&highlight=spark) so I'm hoping it's mechanical.

Thanks again!

Might use WD40 if you want to flush out the cables to get rid of any dirt, then liberal multiple applications of cable lube to get rid of the WD40. Might work if your cables haven't been cleaned and lubed in a long time.

JMHO,

Dan