IGNORED

new bike needed..thinking a about a road glide

davepa

test rode the ultra and found 1st gear had a wine and 6th had vibration then rode a classic same frame and drivetrain and loved it no noise or vib. then rode the next one down with the same frame, and drive train and the vibration was nuts. If you buy one make sure that you ride the one you will buy . These all were 09 At the come ride event. so you think they should be in top notch shape .Have fun shopping. PS Idecided on the 09 RSV.:080402gudl_prv:

Those bikes they have on the "Harley Demo Days" are not necessarilly in "primo" condition. First one I tried had absolutely no air in the rear shock and you could really hear and feel it "bang" going over bumps...second one was fine. I also noticed that some seem to vibrate more than others (same bike style). Apparently they can "tune" them to a point of minimal vibration.

Might be interested in selling my 06 rstd midnight, perfect condition 9000 miles custom stripping and feathers , have converted the sissey bar with back seat trunk and luggage rack from a ventura . this bike is beautifull

But it was comfy for YOU, right? Yall are killin me here. Riding 2-up is all about being physically close. When my current gal rides the Venture with me, she says shes too far away!...when she rides the Ultra with me, she loves it cuz were all snuggly close.

Then take her and the Harley to Sturgis and the RSV to the Meet & Eat. Ya gotta love having a bike for all occasions.:mo money:

Those bikes they have on the "Harley Demo Days" are not necessarilly in "primo" condition. First one I tried had absolutely no air in the rear shock and you could really hear and feel it "bang" going over bumps...second one was fine. I also noticed that some seem to vibrate more than others (same bike style). Apparently they can "tune" them to a point of minimal vibration.

It seems no two HDs are alike. The guys I work with, most having HDs, comment as to how one Ultra is much smoother than others. I guess vibration is some what of a trade mark of the breed and my previous HD of the mid 70s was down right nasty to the point parts did become loose. I know that is no longer the same with the improvements that were made.

That being said, I was not totaly happy with the vibration of my 05 1600 Kawasaki Nomad on 500 mile runs. And after bringing back from the dead my 87 Venture Royale I again enjoyed a smooth highway ride but was a little confined in that saddle due to my 34" inseam. I have looked at 08 RSV in my area but the dealers won't budge off of MSRP and my closest HD dealer won't stock a Road Glide because he does not like them and claims they are hard to sell.

Problem I have is the economy. Once I buy a bike I may be forced to keep it. The days of disposable income are gone for a while and extra money is what most use for purchasing motorcycles. So i am sure it would be hard to sell a bike at seasons end without taking a loss.

Watching ebay, craiglist,etc., as jobs are lost or threatened the bike numbers are increasing. It is a buyers market if I can just deceide on what bike to look for.

So keep the comments coming.

It seems no two HDs are alike. The guys I work with, most having HDs, comment as to how one Ultra is much smoother than others. I guess vibration is some what of a trade mark of the breed and my previous HD of the mid 70s was down right nasty to the point parts did become loose. I know that is no longer the same with the improvements that were made.

That being said, I was not totaly happy with the vibration of my 05 1600 Kawasaki Nomad on 500 mile runs. And after bringing back from the dead my 87 Venture Royale I again enjoyed a smooth highway ride but was a little confined in that saddle due to my 34" inseam. I have looked at 08 RSV in my area but the dealers won't budge off of MSRP and my closest HD dealer won't stock a Road Glide because he does not like them and claims they are hard to sell.

Problem I have is the economy. Once I buy a bike I may be forced to keep it. The days of disposable income are gone for a while and extra money is what most use for purchasing motorcycles. So i am sure it would be hard to sell a bike at seasons end without taking a loss.

Watching ebay, craiglist,etc., as jobs are lost or threatened the bike numbers are increasing. It is a buyers market if I can just deceide on what bike to look for.

So keep the comments coming.

I know where there is a 2000 Millenium RSV, 30k miles, well cared for, asking $7800 if you want his number let me know. I work with him sort of and have seen the bike.

'03s are the best looking ones!

Seriously after talking with a few folks about the differences I think the big deciding factors have already been hit:

-Vibration

-Heat

-Price

-Passenger comfort

-Different feel of Torque / Revs

-Maintenance requirements

-Don't forget the HD Karma

All considered, it's RSV for me - no question.

To me the hardest thing when it came down to the purchase was the stuff if any other company would mass market there bikes with clothing, furniture, hats ,boots ,gloves, toilet seats etc .etc etc they would give HD a run for there money. The one thing that I found was I had more room on the Venture I am 6'3".

Thanks Greg you have posted some good points on the difference in the two makes, not to mention HD requires premium fuel.

Also reading on the HD forum and I can NOT find the post, that HD is in the process of maybe making all their touring bikes water cooled. Due to larger displacement heat problems, leaner running to stay within EPA specs. owner complaints of heat, and the possibility of limiting liability issues due to heat related burns from exhaust and some reported clothing fires.

• 4 months later...
Still looking to replace my wrecked VR (last June)

I have a question but would not like to turn this into a BASHING thread !...so, has anyone here sold an RSV and purchased a HD Road Glide?

I like the fixed fairing bikes better than the bar mount fairings IMO.

And your thoughts are??

Everyone says it is a great bike as to the fairing. It is the same as the RK and EG otherwise. I don't see many out there and HD is stopping making them next year so I have to wonder if they did not sell well for a reason.

I just do not like the way a harley handles, I have ridden a road glide 08, 07 electra glide and road kings. The owners tell how wonderful they handle but I do not get it, All handle very sluggish, they do not respond to the driver. True they can do beautiful low speed manuvers ridding around cones, put the floorboards on the ground and turn, however I don't ride in a parking lot doing manuver, I ride 75 mph on the interstate.

The guys I ride with that have harleys, are experienced riders, and I can out manuver then on the highway, they say it's because I've been ridding longer than they have, that may be, but I say part of it is the machine.

My point is be sure YOU go ride the bike your thinking of buying, ride it far enough so you can tell. Rent one if you have to, better to spend a little and be sure than to spend alot and not like the bike. Then if it suits you its all good.

High dollar machine are not moving well now don't get stuck with a bike you really don't like. I know guy who is in that situation, his buddies talked into a new buell that he hates, owns too much to sell without taking a bad loss.

BE SURE before you buy.

Gregg

Edited by footsie
left out words

As has been stated, motorcycles are all about PERSONAL likes. With that said, the newer HD's tend to run VERY hot, especially the rear cylinder. In fact, HD now has an idle "cut out" that kills fuel to the rear cylinder at idle to help control heat. I've ridden 'em and I considered an Ultra, but found that it was (a) slower (b) hotter, and © less comfy (for wife and I) than the Venture. The new HD's are much more reliable than in the days of old, but way behind the Venture on warranty and longevity issues. There is a certain panache about a "Harley", whether that's important to YOU is strictly a personal decision. With that said, before you buy one I'd STRONGLY suggest you take one for a long ride on a HOT day and include some stop and go stuff. Be SURE you know what you're getting before you plunk down the $$

You might want to consider getting to EagleRiders and renting one for a few days. That way you can actually SEE what it's like to ride one in varied conditions without spending mega$$.:missingtooth:

Guest tx2sturgis

Its been 5 months since the original post asking about the Road Glide. I wonder if any decision was ever made?

:puzzled:

I think I'd be highly interested in the Valkyrie on this site - if I was in the market for a bike - which I'm not.

Valkyrie - bad, bad machine. Honda musta been insane to stop making them. They should have stopped making the Accord instead.

I think I'd be highly interested in the Valkyrie on this site - if I was in the market for a bike - which I'm not.

Valkyrie - bad, bad machine. Honda musta been insane to stop making them. They should have stopped making the Accord instead.

i would like to see an 1800 valk. with a warmed over engine. maybe turbo charged. bet they would sell alot of them. :2133: