IGNORED

Another Road King Muffler Question

I know...I know another RK Muffler question. I just wanted to check on something. I just got a very nice set of slash-cut Road King mufflers. They are off a 1998 model. Serial Numbers are: 65546-98 and 65547-98. From my reading here and other forums I understand that these will not contain the catalytic converter. However, when peering though the mufflers I noticed that I can see through the 65547-98 through a small center hole down in the muffler. I cannot see through the 65546-98. Is this normal or is there a problem with the one I can't see through?

I know...I know another RK Muffler question. I just wanted to check on something. I just got a very nice set of slash-cut Road King mufflers. They are off a 1998 model. Serial Numbers are: 65546-98 and 65547-98. From my reading here and other forums I understand that these will not contain the catalytic converter. However, when peering though the mufflers I noticed that I can see through the 65547-98 through a small center hole down in the muffler. I cannot see through the 65546-98. Is this normal or is there a problem with the one I can't see through?
Upon further inspection the hole is in the center plug of the left side muffler. The center plug of the right side has an indent for a hole but no hole. I will call a Harley dealer on Tuesday if nobody answers this note.

• 5 months later...
I had the same thing on my harley pipes. I just knocked out the two little frost plug types on each end and straight shot all the way thru. Sound great. Hope this helps.

I lucked out and my friend gave me two 2003 stock Roadking pipes with the plugs already knocked out so they were clear through! I cut a couple pieces off the crome pipe covers from my old parts bin from the Electra Glide stock exhaust and used them to cover the gaps between the slip ons and the stock headers and bang - it's awesome!

Looks fine and sounds like a Hot Rod now. I love it. Also finally got the Mustang seat and oooooooh she's nice. No more aching butt. Thanks to all for the help and advice so far. This is a great board.

Now all I need is to find a luggage rack which seems to be impossible as they are all on back order. Oh well, patience . . . .

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wrench

Somebody help me,,,, please!!! I've found a set of H-D slip-on's, #65539-95A. Are these the non-cat mufflers? Also, from the pic the guy posted, the left side muffler looks just a bit shorter than the right? Could just be the angle he took the pic? I'm soooo hoping these will work so I can get the Bub's and their crappy tips off of it. I also can't tell from the pic, but do the tips come off? H-D has a sweet looking set of fishtails!!! Thanks in advance for assistance.

Wrench

Somebody help me,,,, please!!! I've found a set of H-D slip-on's, #65539-95A. Are these the non-cat mufflers? Also, from the pic the guy posted, the left side muffler looks just a bit shorter than the right? Could just be the angle he took the pic? I'm soooo hoping these will work so I can get the Bub's and their crappy tips off of it. I also can't tell from the pic, but do the tips come off? H-D has a sweet looking set of fishtails!!! Thanks in advance for assistance.

Wrench

The notes I have seen state that P/N ending in

-95A

-98A

are non catalytic. Don't get the ones ending in -07.

I think mine end in -95A, but am not at the bike to check.

Dave

Guest wrench

Thanks Dave! Since my last post I went to see a riding bud and look at his '07 Ultra mufflers. They are the same as the ones I found, the tips cannot be removed, but I like the look of them so I now have a call in to the seller to make arrangements to hopefully pick them up tomorrow. They also have the clamps included, so that's one less thing to track down. Just what I need, another project!!!

UPDATE

I now have not 1, but 2 sets of Ultra mufflers. One set is new-in-the-box, the other set is "gently" used, one has a scrape that looks eerily similar to the Deal's Gap scrape on mine. If this all turns out like I hope, I'll have a set of used Bub's with blistered tips, and a set of H-D's that I will make someone a deal/swap on. I'll post them when I get them swapped.

Edited by wrench

about one year ago i purchased some road king pipes on ebay. you can order the baffle (removable by one bolt) of you choice from quiet to loud and even louder by removing the baffles. their quality is excellent and have great customer service. they have 3 tip styles, the down slash, reverse slash and straight cut. they aren't exactly cheap but imo they are worth it. you would also need to purchase a set of brackets (several members sell them). here is the ebay site...check it out and good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WILD-PIG-PIPES-SLIP-ON-MUFFLERS-FOR-HARLEY-DRESSERS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1240Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem41477ca8fbQQitemZ280372226299QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

• 1 year later...
I had the same thing on my harley pipes. I just knocked out the two little frost plug types on each end and straight shot all the way thru. Sound great. Hope this helps.

How much loader are your pipes. I know it is an old post, are you still using them?

• 1 year later...

And they still sound great... I believe these are the ones I purchased from you when you got your BUBS, correct? I love 'em.:bighug: