Went to a shop that has a good reputation for tires and goodies also a few friends said go there if you need tires or a helmet. I asked for a price on Michelin Commanders and the shop owner said the michelins were not that great of a tire for a heavy bike like mine. Said Avalons or Dunlops only. So now what?

If you want Michelins go somewhere else or order them on-line and have them installed somewhere else. Don talks well of his Michelins and has had no problems and gets good wear, but then that's on a 2nd gen which is even heavier.

On the other hand lots of guys around here have the Avon Venoms and are quite happy with them. Some guys, around here, have noticed a wobble with venoms at higher speeds though.

As far as Dunlops, which model did the guy mention. If the 404, it's pretty much the general consensus around here to stay away from them......most people eek about 8,000 miles out of the 404s. The verdict is still out on the Elite 3s and I don't believe they have a front tire available for your model yet. Elite 2s 491s are a good high mileage tire. Had one on the rear of mine before I got a 404 not knowing any better.

Ooops forgot to mention the Dunlop CruiseMax. One of the guys here has those and loves them.

Just got my 2nd gen last year towards the end of the season. Came with Avon Venoms and can't remember when he put the rear on. I replaced the rear the beginning of this season but probably could have gone another 5K or so on it. The front he just put on shortly before I got it and it's still got lots of tread. I'll look at the records and see what I can find out about actual mileage on the rear tire.

I think the most common mileage seems to be between 12 and 15K on the rear and somewhere in the neighborhood of 18K on the fronts. But then this, too, depends on your riding style.

Anything but a D404 !!!!

I installed Avon's front and rear 2 months ago.

I just went to garage and measured tread depth. Exactly 5000 miles on both tires. ( with in 50 miles )

Rear, 1/4 in, max tread depth, at deepest point Off Center.

------- and 3/16 tread depth at dead center of tire.

I will estimate this tire should run at least 14K based on the wear I see on it now at 5K

Front, I could not measure any the wear at dead center, now at 5000 miles. I am sure there is some, but I'm going to estimate the tire would go at least 18K on the front.

---- I did install a D-404 on CX-500, a 475 lb bike with a 35 HP motor. Ok for that bike,

Try Southwest Moto, 140/90 HB 16--- 118.95 plus shipping for the Avon,

I have to say that I think he is completely wrong about the Michelins. I have them on my '99 and have been very pleased with them. I am on my way home from Colorado now and by the time I get home, I think these Michelins will have about 12,000 miles on them. There is still a LOT of life left in them. I don't know how many miles I will get out of this set but I certainly have no complaints about the way they are wearing. My only complaint is that they are a bit noisy in the curves.

Must have just found that out while you were here in Colorado, huh Don? Not as many good twisties in Ohio, huh? :rotf::rotf:

Come to southern Ohio triple nickel (555), 78, 800, and more in the foot hills of the Appalachians lots of twisties. We have people from Columbus crash on the triple nickel a lot.

Dale