IGNORED

Side reflectors with LED

food for thought on marker lights and LED's...

I removed the rear red marker lens that is located underneath my license plate, put it on my drill press, and with proper depth set, I drilled three holes through the back plate. I then installed three red LED lights that I got from Auto zone ($6.00) and pushed the snuggly into the holes I drilled, then wired them up to the Brake light.

You can do the same thing with the side marker lights and you can run the wires through the inside of the chrome rear crash bar. There are two drain holes in them to run the wires through and wire them to your running lights.

The front side markers are a bit tricky, but you can run the wires along side your front brake hoses with enough slack to flex and wire then also to your running lights..

I just bought the ones sold by JC Whitney or J&P, removed the old reflectors, wire the new LED and re-installed the new LED/reflector. The only issue I had (this was done in '02) was the ridge around the mounting plate needed to be cut off. I used my band saw but it can be done with many tools. I did the front and back, and the wiring was straight forward. Very simple and should take less than 1.5 hours.

The JC Whitney marker lights were an exact size replacement for both the back and front reflectors on my 05. All you need to do is pry off the reflectors (held on with double-sided tape), drill a small hole in the mount for the wires, and stick on the new LED lights.

I do seem to remember two slightly different LED/reflectors sold by JCW (I thumb through the catalogs a lot), so maybe there is a slight difference in size? I am sure I bought the cheapest ones! :big-grin-emoticon:

Goose

Got mine from JP cycles. 19.99 each. Exact replacement for the orginal reflectors. They have 15 small LEDS inside. Had to build a bracket to mount the front but the rear just stuck right in the same place. I took a peice of 1" aluminum flat bar and and cut it just shorter than the light. Drilled a hole in it and counter sunk a screw head in it. I took some 5 minute epoxy and poured around the countersunk screw to hold it in place. bolted it right in place. The rear fit exactly where the reflectors were. It is a ***** to get the reflectors off with out tearing up the what holds them to the bars. They come with 3M sticky tape already on them ready to go. Run the wire for the red side lights through the bars and under the seat...connect to the BLUE wire. Run the wires for the front into the fairing and connect them to the blue wire of your front turn signals.

I was gonna send photos of all the work I am doing to the bike this week but am not finished with all of it yet. I got one more LED bar coming to finished all of it.

I will post photos when I am finished all the LED/Wiring. I am doing a lot of preventative stuff also. Putting a relay around the key switch, installed driving lights, a relay for a battery meter to work only when the key is on...Silicon grease in every connector (thats a bunch of connectors)

Here is photos of the reflectors. Photos not real good.

This was not to bad to install at all. They look great at least to me.