IGNORED

Installing Hitch - Brake Controller Recommendations?

Cerviperus

So I'm in the process of installing a hitch on my bike. The pictures show how far we had to tear it down to put the thing on, and amazingly from start to finish it only took a couple hours. Our next step is to do the wiring, which is a really sweet deal because it's all plug and play - minus the actual trailer coupler of course. I have to say, Bustech did a top-notch job with their wiring setup and installation instructions. :thumbsup2:

The trailer I have is equipped with electric brakes. I, along with the guy helping me do the install, was hoping to find a brake controller that could be mounted both vertically, and NOT parallel to the direction of travel. Well, vertical mounting isn't a problem, I just have to pay a little extra for a nicer unit, but it seems every controller I find has to be mounted parallel to the direction of travel. Makes sense I guess, since most of the nicer ones are inertia based.

The reason we were trying to be so picky is that on the right side of my fairing, on top of what would be thought of as the gas tank, is a "glove box". That's where on these bikes they install the CD player and radio that I opted not to buy. It's weatherproof, accessible from the saddle, and fairly good size. However, I don't believe it's wide enough to mount a brake controller without sticking it in there sideways. So chances are I'm going to have to mount it somewhere else, in a weatherproof case.

So does anyone have any recommendations on a good, compact brake controller, or any thoughts on mounting? (I know that latter will be hard since most of you probably aren't familiar with my bike.) At first I was thinking some sort of flat, radar-detector type, mount on the handlebars, but i don't know if the extra motion from the bars will screw up the sensors in the controller.

I've used electric trailer brakes before with a 3/4 ton Dodge and a 30' trailer and they worked pretty good when they were adjusted right... That being said I wouldn't use them on my bike... Electric brakes are either off or on with no in between... You can't modulate the pressure like you can with hydraulic brakes (other than the preset adjustment on the controller)... Hey it's just me but I don't want those trailer brakes locking up on me which they probably will from time to time...

My advice... Put the trailer on with a pretty good load and try it out with no brakes... Include some evasive manuvers as you get more comfortable... I think you'll find you don't need the brakes... If you're really set on doing the brakes go here to do some research....

Motorcycle Trailer Towing on Delphi... Good luck

Electric brakes are either off or on with no in between... You can't modulate the pressure like you can with hydraulic brakes (other than the preset adjustment on the controller)... Hey it's just me but I don't want those trailer brakes locking up on me which they probably will from time to time...

The controller on my F250 can be adjusted for response time and pressure. Why would a bike be any different???

The controller on my F250 can be adjusted for response time and pressure. Why would a bike be any different???

I was going to ask the same thing. Aren't most newer controllers proportional? Meaning, they step up the power to meet the degree of deceleration?

Yes you can set them for how much brake and when to come on using the preset on the controller... But when the brakes are applied they are on... Maybe they've improved since I used one but they were either on or off with no in between...

The brake controller varies the current to the magnets, (which controls the amount of braking force), based upon the brake controller’s perception of deceleration. The controller doesn’t activate the brakes until the brake lights on the tow vehicle are energized. Then, current is supplied to the brake magnets proportional to the deceleration sensed by the controller. This provides proportional braking. This system requires proper installation and adjustment of the controller and proper maintenance of the trailer brakes.

Magnetic electric trailer brakes and their controllers are not designed for use on motorcycles. That doesn’t mean they can’t be adapted, but it then becomes a unique braking system. I have read that electric over hydraulic systems are more adjustable and controllable, but I have no experience with them.

Be careful when putting brakes on a motorcycle trailer as too much trailer brake, especially in a curve, can be catastrophic.

The guy that is helping me with the install has pulled trailers for years, and his current camper-trailer (identical to mine) is also setup with electric brakes. He's going to help me with the entire setup and calibration of the controller, as well as helping me learn to pull it.

This is all part of the reason we're trying to mount it in a highly accessible location, so we can easily make adjustments on the fly.

Guest tx2sturgis

I have read that some users are mounting the brake controller IN the trailer. The experts say it cant be done of course, but it CAN be done. You have to do several trial runs with and without the trailer loaded, to find the proper adjustment for each condition, with caution dictating you set the controller a bit on the lighter side. Cargo loading wont change any while riding of course, but road surfaces and traction conditions certainly can. Of course you have to run a heavy power wire to the controller, seperate from all the other trailer wiring. Good luck.

Well, we figured out what we're going to do, and wow was it obvious when I thought about it. Any time I'm travelling enough distance to warrant my trailer, I'm also going to have my tank bag. Voila. Perfect place to hook up the brake controller. The bag (and its bracket) already have a hole drilled in the bottom to run an electrical connection, so we're going to run a piggy-tail for the controller through. That way I won't have to have some ugly mount on the bike when the controller's not in use.

So...

Now that the decision has been made on mounting, I need to figure out what kind of controller I'm going to get. Take this as fact that I am going to get a controller and use the electric brakes. That's not up for debate at this point. So from those of you that have used them, either on a bike or a cage, any recommendations? I keep hearing the Prodigy is one of the best, so that's the way I'm leaning, but I thought I'd see what everyone else thinks.

:sign bring it on:

I've used a Tekonsha Voyager and and Envoy in my trucks. I thought both worked fine. Never used one for a bike trailer, but I think it would work fine. I'd set the brakes on the light side so they're just supplying, say, 20% of the braking. You may need a resistor in the line to allow the controller to be in the middle of it's range and adjust properly.

Jeremy

Well, we figured out what we're going to do, and wow was it obvious when I thought about it. Any time I'm travelling enough distance to warrant my trailer, I'm also going to have my tank bag. Voila. Perfect place to hook up the brake controller. The bag (and its bracket) already have a hole drilled in the bottom to run an electrical connection, so we're going to run a piggy-tail for the controller through. That way I won't have to have some ugly mount on the bike when the controller's not in use.

So...

Now that the decision has been made on mounting, I need to figure out what kind of controller I'm going to get. Take this as fact that I am going to get a controller and use the electric brakes. That's not up for debate at this point. So from those of you that have used them, either on a bike or a cage, any recommendations? I keep hearing the Prodigy is one of the best, so that's the way I'm leaning, but I thought I'd see what everyone else thinks.

:sign bring it on:

You might want to rethink the mounting of the controller. Electric brake controllers need to sense decelleration. This normally requires a solid mount to the tow vehicle. A tank bag isn't going to provide the solid mount required by most controllers.