IGNORED

Pain in back between shoulders

raceman62race

I have noticed that on long rides, (300 miles+) I get a slight pain in my back between my shoulders. I have an 08 RSV and it seems like the handle bars need to be slightly higher and back towards me a little more. I can't really sit up straight and get full use of the back rest. Seems like I have to lean forward slightly to get to the handle bars and I end up supporting a small amount of my upper body with my arms (like riding a sport bike but not near as intense) I noticed the handle bar mounts that goes in the triple tree has sort of a sweeping curve to it......its not straight like most. I have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone make handle bar mounts that will move handle bars back towards the driver about 1" - ! 1/2" that will not require me to altar the front cowling?

2. Will I have to re-route or extend cables and or wiring if I extend handle bar mounts by 1" - 1 1/2"

Here's the quick and easy way. You can do it without hose or throttle cable extensions but watch out for the throttle cables. They can stick on you on a full turn.

http://www.zianet.com/genmar/

I prefer the "G2" pull back bars but it's much more expensive and the throttle cables do need to be changed out. Also a bit harder install but not bad.

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/importedmotorcycles/ImportHandlebars/ImportMore/ImportRoadG.html

part #650-08763

Edited by Gary N.

You have a couple of choices. You can go with risers made by Baron or GenMar they will bring you bars up and back about 1 1/2 inches which fixed that very problem for me. Or you can go with the Flanders bars which give you an even better pullback but you will more than likely have to change your cables resulting in a costlier fix.

If you are interested in the flanders conversion then contact RickH at http://www.buckeyeperformance.com and see what the current costs are for the items.

The risers can be bought online from $65.00 to $85.00 depending on how hard you look.

If you don't have a backrest that will help also, it supports your lower back and causes you to sit up straighter.

I have heard of one person who was going to use the risers along with the flanders bars but don't know the outcome.

GenMar Risers are Part # Y122 = and cost about $90.00

Baron’s Risers are Part # BA-7430-00 and cost about $75.00

Flanders pull back handle bars = Part #: FL650-08763

Barnett SS Cable Sets

Throttle Push Cable = Part #: BP426-450-327 SST

Throttle Pull Cable = Part #: BP426-450-327 SST

I extended the handlebar with risers and still had/have pain. I finally decided to only fix was upper back support. I can modify just about anything. A Walmart tall Igloo cooler was the correct distance between the passenger backrest and my back. I cut some foam rubber. wedge shaped to about 1'' at top and 3" at the bottom. My wife covered it and added straps to hold it on. I attach to cooler with spongee cords to the trunk handle and the passenger hand rails.

Pain almost gone. Full back support. For less than $30. And much more storage space. I use it on 3 different bikes.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and info. I think I am going to try the bolt on extentions and see if that helps. I am pretty sure it will. If it doesn't pull the bars towards me enough, I'll go with the more expensive handlebar replacement. The thought of replacing the handlebars never entered my mind until someone suggested it here...but as always, people here are full of great advise and ideas! Thanks again for the suggestions, links and info!!

Ride safe.....chrome up and rubber down!!!