IGNORED

Boarding Ferries

T.J.

Getting bored with the cold I was reading some of the old threads about riding on gravel and different conditions. It reminded me of times we boarded ferries. The first time was in the U. P. in Mich at DeTour Village. We were going over to Drummond Island for a ride. The ramp takes some getting use to both driving on and off of the ferries especially if the are the big ones. "Ferries" that is.

The next time was over by Boyne City Mich. We were riding along the south side of Lake Charlevoix heading toward Ironton. The GPS unit started flashing and warned that the road ends ahead. I thought what in the world does that mean, "road ends". As we toped the hill you could look down the other side and the GPS started flashing "Board Ferry" Sure enough we had to take the ferry across the south leg of Lake Charlevoix to continue on our way. It was a very nice ride it that area of Michigan.

Thought I would share and find out has anyone had trouble boarding or Leaving a ferry?

Looking forward to spring.:sun:

Had to board a few ferries in my life. Most of the time it's not one of the things I want to do.

Probably been 10-15 years ago I was up in the Door County area of Wisconsin and was going to ride the fairy to Washington Island. Lake level was pretty low and they would not let you ride your bike on. One of the deck hands had to do it. Short story is I didn't go. I figured if someone dumped the bike it was going to be me.

Maybe 5 years ago I was in the same area but this time you loaded your own bike. Seems they had to pay for to much damage through the years. It was still a bad deal the concrete ramp was steep and the ramp up the ferry was steep but I made it.

One of the worse places I've been on the bike was Savanna, GA. I decided to ride down the cobble stone ramp to the river front. Bad error in judgment. The stones were slick and I had a heck of a time stopping the bike before going into the river. Actually about 3/4 of the way down I had made up my mind after going into the water the first thing I needed to do was get rid of the leather jacket. Heck I stopped with 2 or 3 feet to spare.

Jerry

One of the worse places I've been on the bike was Savanna, GA. I decided to ride down the cobble stone ramp to the river front. Bad error in judgment. The stones were slick and I had a heck of a time stopping the bike before going into the river. Actually about 3/4 of the way down I had made up my mind after going into the water the first thing I needed to do was get rid of the leather jacket. Heck I stopped with 2 or 3 feet to spare.

Jerry

I totally agree with that road. Can't even really call that cobblestone. Them things are boulders sticking up. Wouldn't even want to ride a car down there.

Margaret

I've been on a ferry twice, both in the same day. One was in Kampsville, IL, and the other a little further south near Pere Marquette state park. Neither one was too bad, as the ferries were both pretty level to the road. I've had people tell of bad experiences, due to water on the ramps and the actual ferries, but we were there in good weather. That's the only way I could see water getting on the ones we road, the sit quite a ways out of the water, and it's not like they're hauling @#$ across there.

You want bad I've done it!

Over the Ohio river between Ky and Il was a narrow 2 mile open grate bridge, 2 up and wet! Felt like 2 flat tires. Almost no control.

Then there's the most crooked street in the USA. Very steep down, foggy and misty, wet smooth cobblestone and 2 up on narrow 70's tires. I put it in nuetral and coasted as slow as possible using both brakes very smoothly. Did that 4 times in one day.

Then there's a 20 mile dirt road in CO with very large sharp rocks 2 up, I wasn't a christian yet but praying sure helped.

Been on a lot of ferries in this province...between here and Vancouver Island, between Ft Langley and Maple Ridge, between Needles and whatever that other side is called (lol), between Nelson and "that other side", between Revelstoke and Nakusp (there's a name for that one too lol) .... small ferries, big ferries, steep inclines over metal grate, etc.... never really had any problems... guess I been lucky!