BEER30

of the motorhomes that I have worked on I have seen 3 basic chassis types.

automotive- built on a 1 or 2 ton truck frame, almost never has a tag axel, hydrolic brakes, gas engine. Usually built by GM ford or dodge.

heavy- uses highway truck parts, may or may not have a tag, air brakes, air suspension, industrial diesel (cummins,detroit), most are built by freightliner under a variaty of names and configurations.

MCI- this is a commercial bus chassis built by MCI. always has a tag axel. Very high quality but scary expensive to fix.

If you intend to put a few miles on it you will want a diesel. I have no idea how many times I have ben asked if I can get more mileage out of their 454.

As far as repair cost goes, it will cost more than the same repair on a truck due to accessibility. Also has anyone ever tried to set valves in some ones bedroom with white plush carpets.:scared:

Scotty

You should really take a long hard look at how much use there will be. I was about to buy one ten years ago and accidentally found out I could rent by day week or month. Did the math and found out I could say many $$$ by renting an RV and get what I needed depending on the trip. Some areas & camp grounds are & were a real pain in the %@# to get the big ones into. Plus with NO license payment each year, insurance was cheaper by usage and the list goes on.

Bottom line is if you are selling your house and going to travel buy the RV if not look into rentals. May not pay for first year but compared to a monthly payment really cheaper over time and more flexible for trip being taken!!

If you were going top ride your bike one or two weeks a year (in comparison) would you buy or rent?

I have to agree take a look at how much your going to use it. Your not gonna save money buying an RV you'll be burning it. RV's cost money so be prepared. Something always goes wrong be prepared to fix it yourself or head to a dealer. I've owned 2 currently using a 5th wheel setup which I like but still dont use it as much as I would like up here in the north. Camping season May-Oct so I lose 6 months of the year. Mines 37' long which makes it a pain to park in normal campgrounds. I like trees and woods when I'm camping not real fond of the parking lot type of campgrounds. Don't get me wrong I love camping but if I wasnt real fond of it I wouldnt own one. I would never buy new let someone else take the hit for a new one. I picked up my Ford F350 and the 5th wheel for half what they were worth from a guy desperate to sell. Most of the RV's are not used that much so I would definitly go used. Just my 2 cents.

We definitely are going to use it .If it were just day trips , motels would be the ticket . We are not planning on selling the house either . Becky and I have friends and family all over the US . As we visit family , we want our privacy ,nor burden them with our presence either . Just pull up stakes and leave ! We want to tour the National Parks and Landmarks , stop and camp out when ever feasible . Renting a sizable motor home for what we want isn't cheap , plus having to pay for mileage on them .

Our neighbor has a Provost with a double tier matching trailer . This trailer is huge , as he has up to 4 scoots and 2 small sports cars in it . I'd like to follow him and just pick up the change he drops ! Not only does he have that Provost , but another Provost for short trips .

If our plans for a once and awhile excursions , we would look into the C class . We looking into 2-3 week trips , come home for a short visit and out again . Travel will lesson in the winter . Both the wife and I looked hard as to what , where , and when we will travel and considering cost of travel , time spent traveling , a Class A is the ticket . For what it cost in fuel , meals , lodging will be a pretty penny . It's like buying or renting your home . It's like , "Why make payments on your landlords rental property" ?

Them Newmar toy haulers with slideout scoot storage are neat , but would rather have the comfort and pull an enclosed trailer .

BEER30

Beer, we have been looking at RV's for about 4 yrs. now and have decided on a 5th wheel. Our situation is different than yours in we are going to sell everything we have and become full time RV'er's. The reason we decided on a 5th wheel is mainly cost and also the ability to not have to pull a toad/car. Just unhook the pickup and use it as basic transportation. Also, I found out that the lift mentioned for a bike can be installed on the stronger built units now. We have looked at the class A's and they are definately nice, but out of our range, plus the wife does not feel comfortable in one as she doesn't like the way the lean in turns.

Good luck on whatever you end up with, and enjoy it.

Don H.

Gene - I went with an older Class A and a covered trailer for the bike. Buying used is not bad way to go - there are some awsome deals and someone else has looked after the depreciation. As far as repairs go, it seems to make little difference on new or used. (based on the 25 or so motorhomes in my park in Texas!)

The covered trailer for the bike is great - overnight garage and easy to tow. If the weather is bad, oh well, I stay inside and goof off until it clears. I live in a condo in Ontario for the summer and in the motorhome in Texas for the winters - no car/truck here in Texas.

Good luck with your decision - half the fun is looking!!

Eugene

Beer, we have been looking at RV's for about 4 yrs. now and have decided on a 5th wheel. Our situation is different than yours in we are going to sell everything we have and become full time RV'er's. The reason we decided on a 5th wheel is mainly cost and also the ability to not have to pull a toad/car. Just unhook the pickup and use it as basic transportation. Also, I found out that the lift mentioned for a bike can be installed on the stronger built units now. We have looked at the class A's and they are definately nice, but out of our range, plus the wife does not feel comfortable in one as she doesn't like the way the lean in turns.

Good luck on whatever you end up with, and enjoy it.

Don H.

We are dead set on a Class A . Them tailend lifts are great for the MH, but everyone failed to notice that the RSV is 9" wide ! Something about legal width limits , cough-cough . Maybe if I had a HD and after a few parts have fallen off , it would be of legal size .:rotfl:

Yes , there are some deals to be had on used as well as new . I just do not want to be stuck with someone else problems . We plan to get he mobile garage , might look into a Smart car as well fer them rainy days . And yes , I can put up a self supporting hammock under the awning ands cop some ZZZZZZZZZ's . And yes , half the fun is kicking tires !

BEER30

Beer, you're right on the length. My 1st. gen measures 8' 7" from the back of the luggage rack to the front of the front tire. Might be off an inch or so, but not enough to make much of a difference. Still gonna try and go that route, just hope the LEO's don't notice.

Anyway enjoy what you get.

Don H.

That's the lift I was referring too . More Info. But how will I haul the BEERCART if I pull a toad as well ? Though a great idea , I think I will stick with the mobile garage and have more storage and a cleaner scoot .

BEER30

Smart Gene,

I too like the idea but not on that gas powered RV. The weight of the lift and the bike has to be affecting the handling of that unit. Those lifts might work on a diesel pusher OK but not on a front engine unit with a rear frame extension. I wonder how the lawyers would handle an accident claim? My 40' Winne only has a 500 lb. tongue weight limit and no equalizer system allowed either.

Beer30,

I don't know if Allegro has a model that you like, but my step son worked for them at the factory in Red Bay Alabama for seven years before moving down here (Allegro' s are mfg by Tiffen Motor Homes in Red Bay). Its a family owned company, and from the stories he has told me, the customer service is second to none.They have a dealer network, but They will also do service work on your coach right at the factory if your willing to drive it there( and a lot of people do). They even have a campground with free hook ups if you have to wait for service or parts. He had people that made Red Bay part of their annual Service stop in their travels. They "warranty " alot of things at the factory service shop, that may not normally get done at a dealer.

Not trying to sound like a salesman, but if I were looking for MH, I would consider them just from what he has told me about the company and the family. If you have any specific questions, I'm sure he would talk to you about MH.

RSTDdog

Beer30

I have been reading with interest all that has been posted. My wife and I had much the same idea. We started looking at a Class C and was thinking about pulling a small trailer for the scoot. After looking at quite a few and talking to many owners, we decided on a used 32' Class A. We went with an older one so we could see if liked it without being locked in for several years. We bought a 7 x 16 enclosed trailer for the bike. Now 2 of my sons travel with us for vacation. We set up a base camp and come back to the MH each evening. I don't have to over load my bike or pull a trailer. I can also carry some of the extras like golf clubs, fishing tackle, etc. I have secure storage for bikes each night. Don't have to travel in bad weather like the tornado that we ran into last year. Couple of extra benefits that we had not expected. I have extra, secure winter storage, and when we lost our electicity a couple of weeks ago from the ice, we just slipped out to the MH and fired up the generator and furnance.

Have fun

George

I guess the best aspect about this is that the wife and I are really excited about when the day comes that we are free to travel unrestricted , knowing that we do not have to be back a particular time . Using the MH as a base camp , with the scoot to tour and scout out the POI's .

Right now I woke up a few minutes early before the routine 4:30 am alarm clocks brigade ! 4 of them damn thing in the bedroom blaring out every mourning . That's an item that will not be in the MH if I can help it ! We are also having fun having another excuse to hop on the scoot exploring new RV dealerships , hob-knobbing and tire kicking , and learning more about each make and model . On the way the Andersonville last year , I passed by the Blue-Bird Motor Coach facility . I would love to tour their plant , but I know it's too high $$ for our budget . Come on Lottery !

The MH will be our second home and will most likely spend as much time in it as our current home . So I'm going to push it to learn as much as I can about them before we buy .

We looked at some Tiffen's. And we would love to tour some of the plants . The wife and I just mentioned the other day where the plants were , so maybe we can log in some scoot time to travel to some . I was going to look up where their locations were and found that on GoRVing.com has the addresses listed .

BEER30

My 40' Winne only has a 500 lb. tongue weight limit and no equalizer system allowed either.

Gary , these lifts bolt/weld directly onto the frame , not into the receiver hitch . Therefore the 500 lb. tongue weight limit does not play into effect . What make and model is your MH ?

BEER30

We have a 30 foot Thor toy hauler motorhome on a Ford 450 chassis, and love it. It's way too small to live in, but we've stayed in it for 3 weeks at a time. I like the idea of taking the bike without dragging a trailer. We're headed down to Georgia next week to escape the cold up here. Being retiresd is a big plus when RVing.

Yes , there are some deals to be had on used as well as new . I just do not want to be stuck with someone else problems . We plan to get he mobile garage , might look into a Smart car as well fer them rainy days . And yes , I can put up a self supporting hammock under the awning ands cop some ZZZZZZZZZ's . And yes , half the fun is kicking tires !

BEER30

New RV's are not immune from problems out of all "toys" as my wife calls them RV's have given me the most headaches with things that go wrong way over boats, MC's, etc. I know many of folk that have one problem after another even with new ones. Remember they are depreciable asset they lose value quickly not like a home. Thats why I would really consider a used one that is a year or two old most of the bugs should be worked out by then and why lose $20,000 driving it off of the lot. New RV's are great if your made of money if your not I would definitely go used. Most of them will not have been used that much. If your living in them full time they wear out quicker. You have to take care of them they are work. Storage is another problem if you dont have covered storage I would use a cover since the sun beating down on the top dries out roof seals making them more prone to leaks which are a nightmare sometimes to find according to my neighbor who worked at an RV dealer repairing them. I have found that most RV's are not constructed all that well anyway. I'm not trying to discourage you from buying a new one they are nice to have just trying to save you some money in the long run. From someone who has been there. Jim

Edited by CrazyHorse

Guest Turtle

Consider a well cared for used one. We took the plunge with a used Holiday Rambler and saved buckets of money. BUT, you need either to trust the heck out of the dealer or, as our dealer did, let us talk to the previous owners....alone...no salesman present. So far so good.

Gary , these lifts bolt/weld directly onto the frame , not into the receiver hitch . Therefore the 500 lb. tongue weight limit does not play into effect . What make and model is your MH ?

BEER30

Yes, but the point is adding that much weight to the back of these coaches, regardless of how it's attached will affect the handling. That's why the tongue weight is limited. Usually with a receiver type hitch with load equalizers you can double the tongue weight but not on mine. I'm sure you could beef up the frame in any number of ways but with all the overhang past the rear axle, the weight you add back there acts like a lever and lift the front of the unit which lightens the steering. I'm only talking front engine units here not diesel pushers.

My RV is a Winnebago Adventurer model 38 J.

Gene,

I think you're right. The same as Chev and GMC. They are all made on the same line with a little different trim levels. That's why one costs more than the other.

You have the right idea. You don't get an RV to save money. You get one because you like the life style and you like to sleep in your own bed and eat your own food. At least that's my thoughts on it.

Be prepared if you buy a new one. The factory final inspector is the first time buyer. And it doesn't seem to matter which brand you want to talk about. Everyone will tell you that. Plan on quite a few trips back to the dealer in the first year to get all the bugs out.

I have a Winnie, Adventurer, gas, on a Workhorse chassis and after finally getting all the bugs out, it's been great. Having said that, there's always some kind of work that needs doing. I don't know how anyone who doesn't do there own maintenance can afford to own one of these things. After the warranty is finished or even just regular routine stuff will kill you at the dealership.

Anyway, good luck and have fun.

Well said