IGNORED

Compatible DVD decoder?

In attempting to play a DVD in Windows Media Player 11, I keep getting a message that the computer does not have a Compatible DVD decoder? Any recommendations which one I should use or load. Is this the computer or the DVD problem? And is it free?

Depending what format the file is on the DVD it may need a plug in of some sort. Have a look at this link.....VLC player.....its free and plays alot of different file types

Keith

http://files.uberdownloads.com/software/video-player/VLC.html

It probably has something to do with the codecs that WMP has installed. You might try downloading a K-Lite Codec Pack. That might solve your problem without having to completely change your media player.

However, I highly recommend anyone who plays any type of media to give VLC a try, as Keith mentioned. I have yet to find a media format that it doesn't like. :thumbsup2:

Generally you have to buy at least one DVD player software package to play DVDs in Windoze. Some computers come with a free version, but it is not part of Windoze, so you paid for it somewhere when you bought the PC. Often you get a decoder with a good graphics card, and always with something like Nero or Easy Media Creator. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Generally you have to buy at least one DVD player software package to play DVDs in Windoze.
Personally, I would hate to see anyone spend $$$ on software to do something so basic. There are so many quality open source or freeware software packages to do just about anything you could imagine. For someone adventurous enough (I have yet to take that step), you could have a completely functioning computer do everything you need, operating system and all, only paying for the hardware. Legally. :hihi:

You just need to know where to look and have a little patience to look up help online instead of relying on 24-hour tech support or a printed manual.

Windows XP

still no luck...

Two questions. They may seem a little out there, but when you work with people like the ones I work with on a daily basis, no question is to out there.

1) Is the drive in your PC definitely DVD compatible? I'm going to assume yes on this one, and give you the benefit of the doubt. :hihi:

2) You're not trying to play Blu-Ray or HD-DVD in a standard drive are you?

Personally, I would hate to see anyone spend $$$ on software to do something so basic. There are so many quality open source or freeware software packages to do just about anything you could imagine. For someone adventurous enough (I have yet to take that step), you could have a completely functioning computer do everything you need, operating system and all, only paying for the hardware. Legally. :hihi:

You just need to know where to look and have a little patience to look up help online instead of relying on 24-hour tech support or a printed manual.

Normally I agree with this sentiment, but not this time. There are NO legal free DVD decoders. period. Yes, there are a few you can find and download, but they are all hacked and stolen. That technology is still proprietary and requires a legal license to use.

Personally I HATE the recording industry and all the stupid attempts they make to prevent my LEGALLY copying media I have purchased for my own use, but stealing a DVD decoder is not the same thing as just trying to circumvent copy protection.

Goose

Oh, BTW - just about every DVD drive you can buy for a computer comes with at least one type of software that will allow you to watch a DVD - the decoder is usually licensed with the drive. If you have ever bought a boxed drive, check for the software that came with it. If your computer really has a DVD drive in it (instead of just an older CD drive), I'd double check the instructions and see if you have the software that you simply have never installed or activated. And I'm pretty certain you do have the correct drive or else you wouldn't be getting a message that you don't have the correct decoder. Often a computer can have other movie player software that will work fine, but WMP can't use the same decoder, so look for another player on that computer and try that.