IGNORED

Headset/Speaker Switch - Audio Panel

A Newbie to this site with a recent purchase of a 87 Venture Royale with only 55K kilometres (32K miles) on the clock and in fine shape.

On a ride yesterday, my headsphone/speaker switch failed with it in the speaker position. I did some disassembly last night and got to the point where I found the small micro-switch soldered into the audio control board. The switch has movement but the internal connections seem to be gone since the LED light indicating the position does not illuminate either.

Does anyone have experience with replacing these switches? Can it be done or am I looking at trying to replace the whole audio control module? Alternatively, maybe the switch is fine and the problem is a frayed wire/loose connection elsewhere :confused24:. Anyone had thiis problem before?

Thanks

Ron

A Newbie to this site with a recent purchase of a 87 Venture Royale with only 55K kilometres (32K miles) on the clock and in fine shape.

On a ride yesterday, my headsphone/speaker switch failed with it in the speaker position. I did some disassembly last night and got to the point where I found the small micro-switch soldered into the audio control board. The switch has movement but the internal connections seem to be gone since the LED light indicating the position does not illuminate either.

Does anyone have experience with replacing these switches? Can it be done or am I looking at trying to replace the whole audio control module? Alternatively, maybe the switch is fine and the problem is a frayed wire/loose connection elsewhere :confused24:. Anyone had thiis problem before?

Thanks

Ron

Yes, I have. The switch can be replaced but you must find a supplier. Radio Shack used to carry them but quit. If I remember correctly they are a 6X6X4.3 mm tact switch.

Dick

Just had to replace a bunch of similar P.C. mount switches on the tuner control module due to weathering, I assumed. I used some switches from a display panel for an old CD player but the push part was much longer so I cut them down and filled in the hollow center with some ABS plastic weld. I agree, Radio Shack USED to carry the right ones, but no more. You may try some commercial electronics supply companies like Allied, etc. If you find a solid source, let me know as you never know when one of those switches will fail...

I have recently been dealing with my own radio nightmare....and I just happen to have an extra volume control panel which has this button on it. The auto volume adjustment (to increase sound as your bike makes more noise) is not working on the unit so it may be a good candidate for dissection. PM me if you think you would like to give it a shot.

I have / had a similar problem with my radio. The MEM button didn't work so I couldn't get the side buttons to remember stations. Anyhow I took it apart and liberally sprayed electronic contact cleaner into the micro switches and moved them a bunch of times while the cleaner was still wet. Put it back together and all the buttons work fine now.