IGNORED

Downsizing front tire to a 130

Guest Nevada Max

I switched to the 130 earlier this year and will not go back to the stock size. It made such a dramatic difference that I can complete full lock turns and scrape floorboards at 5 mph. I am only 5'8" and the leveling links were not an option. I have noticed that the bike is a little looser in the wind at high speeds, but once you get used to it there is no problem.

Me too going to my second 130 tire this weekend. Will never go back Just got back from a 2644 mile trip and hit lots of winds ont he BRRParkway and on the Interstate and never had a problem. Slow speed handling is greatly enhansed.

James

I've also switched to a 130 and doubt I will go back.

Update...

Considering that the bike now has this "squirrelly" feel to it, I am switching back to the 150 and installing levelling links this winter. Pending the outcome of that will determine which "mod" I stick with. (a man's gotta experiment yanno ;-) ... variety is the spice of life they say...)

I switched to the 130 on the front as well, michelin, and am very pleased with the change. I also switched from the 150 on the back to the 140, michelin as well. Pleased with the results. Everyone is right about wind buffiting on the interstate, but I run good, non-interstate roads most of the time. Like to cruise along,and smell the roses.:Venture: :thumbsup2: :Venture: :thumbsup2::clap2::clap2:

For anyone reading this old thread that has not taken the time to look up the great amount of detail on this subject in even older threads out there, I thought I would briefly summarize my personal experience and thoughts about the tire size issue on the Royal Stars.

First, not all 150/80 or 130/90 tires are the same size or shape (profile), so your experience with one does NOT mean that other brands of tire in the same size will feel the same. Some 150/80 tires are almost the same size as some 130/90s, while there is a huge difference between others.

Second, the behavior of the front tire is HUGELY affected by the rear tire on the bike. With a good rounded rear tire, the 130/90 feels really nice, especially at parking lot speeds. But as the rear tire wears, you get more squirrelly stuff happening.

Third, I feel the combination of the 130/90 front tire is generally a bad idea with suspension links that raise the rear. While the bike will feel pretty good when the tires are new, it goes down hill fast as the REAR tire begins to wear and develops a more square profile. This is basically the same thing I said above, but raising the rear end greatly amplifies this problem. In extreme cases where the rear tire develops a very flat center and relatively sharp edges on the side of the tread, the 130/90 front tire will make this bike downright dangerous if you encounter significant ridges and edges in the pavement like you see when they are resurfacing a road.

These comments are not based on theory - they are the results of my personal testing with different tires in the conditions described.

Goose

Second, the behavior of the front tire is HUGELY affected by the rear tire on the bike. With a good rounded rear tire, the 130/90 feels really nice, especially at parking lot speeds. But as the rear tire wears, you get more squirrelly stuff happening.

I certainly agree with this and it applies to all tire brands I would think. Having said that, I have brand new tires front and rear, both the same brand, 130 front and 150 rear yet I still get this squirrely "stuff" happening. My conclusion then is, the brand of tire can also make a difference since others report that they don't experience this. This'll teach me to try a cheap brand I guess....:eek: ; however, as stated above, I'm going back to the 150 and installing levelling links. We'll see what happens ... even with a cheap tire LOL

Considering my last three bikes were 2 750 sport touring bikes, and a 750 Ninja, with the stock tire it felt like a tank to me, with the 130 it now feels like a big motorcycle. And the twitchyness and wind drift is nothing compared to a 430lb Ninja.

Has any one tryed 130 on a trike with easy steer from Hannagan what result did you have

Been asking a similar question in the Trike board. I may have to contact a couple of past customers to see what they are using. It sort of sounds like a 130 would be the ticket for us.

Been asking a similar question in the Trike board. I may have to contact a couple of past customers to see what they are using. It sort of sounds like a 130 would be the ticket for us.

Actually, while the extra load capacity would be good on a trike, I would think a wider flatter tire would be better seeing as you are no longer leaning.

The faster steering and lighter feel that a 130/90 front tire gives to a normal Royal Star is a function of how the rounded profile of the tire behaves when the bike leans so that the contact patch moves off of center. Since a trike does not lean, all you are getting is a smaller contact patch with less breaking traction, less holding power in a corner, and faster tire wear.

A better choice for a trike is the worst possible tire for a two wheeled Royal Star - the stock Brickstone 150/80-16. This tire has a wider cross section and less rounded profile than any other available tire (it is close to a full inch wider than some other 150/80-16 tires). In addition, the center is a much harder rubber compound than the sides, so the tire will last much longer.

Goose

A better choice for a trike is the worst possible tire for a two wheeled Royal Star - the stock Brickstone 150/80-16. This tire has a wider cross section and less rounded profile than any other available tire (it is close to a full inch wider than some other 150/80-16 tires). In addition, the center is a much harder rubber compound than the sides, so the tire will last much longer.

Goose

Just a thought here then... why not put a car tire on the front of a trike??