IGNORED

1st Gen Fuel pump

Anybody have this ,my fuel pump used to click when I turned on key. Now it doesnt or maybe clicks 1 or 2 times. Cleaned all connections battery is fully charged and bike starts instantly and runs PERFECT. I`m wondering if there is going to be a problem down the line?? no hesitation and will run all day at 70 -80 mph with power to spare. when bike is idling can feel pulses when I hold hand on pump. any input greatly appreciated JB.

Just changed stator last week its putting out 14 volts at 3000 rpm. thanks to all that gave advice on that problem

JB

There is no Problem, the Pump is activated by a Pressure Switch inside the Pump. It pumps until the Pressure is built up and stops by then until you let the Motor run. There is also a Safety Part in the Fuel Pump Relay which prevents the draining of the Tank. When you switch the Key the Pump only operates for 5 Seconds or the Pressure is build up. When there is a RpM Signal on the Ingintion Coil the Relay goes back to normal Operation.

Well that sounds good to me,like I said I`m not having a problem with the bike running but until a week ago it always clicked about 5 times when i turned key on . Even if I turned bike off then on again I`d get 5 more clicks.I`ve had the bike since feb 08 and that was normal procedure. Thanks to all for input

JB

• 5 months later...

I have an 83 VR. even with a fuel line off I would only get a couple of clickes when I turned the key. If I by pass everthing and go direct the pump runs great. I tracked the fuel pump relay down and it failed the test as per the shop manual. A buddy has one in the mail for me. Hopefully that will fix my problem. frank