IGNORED

installing all ss lines (any tips)

Going to install brake, clutch and throttle stainless steel lines and would like to know of anything I might run into thats going to give me problems, spent 2 hours reading post about bleeding the clutch and brakes, read so many different ways and problems got me wondering how bad it's going to be (and confused). Any guidance and what tools I will need would be greatly appreciated

Scott,

As long as you understand the basic principles in bleeding brake lines you will be ok. The only line that will give you any problem will be the front brake lines, where air bubbles like to hide in the one line into two line juctions. Here you just need to pump the crap out of the front brake lever until you start to feel pressure build up. The clutch line is a little different in that that solid feel of the brake line is not there, but you will be able to feel it pump to the point that you can feel the clutch release.

I use a MityVac to get the fluid started to fill the lines from the master cylinder to the caliper (slave cylinder) and then complete the process the old fashioned way. Pump, pump, pump, hold, release the bleed valve, close the bleed valve, start over, until there are no bubbles coming out of the clear bleed line. I like to finish the process off by leaving the top cover off the master cylinder, press the brake lever or pedal and hold it down and let it sit over night. This lets any bubbles left in the line to make their way to the top and out of the system.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Going to install brake, clutch and throttle stainless steel lines and would like to know of anything I might run into thats going to give me problems, spent 2 hours reading post about bleeding the clutch and brakes, read so many different ways and problems got me wondering how bad it's going to be (and confused). Any guidance and what tools I will need would be greatly appreciated

Spend the $20-$30 and buy you a brake bleeder. Will make the whole thing much more pleasent.

I just replaced my slave cylinder and rebuilt the master on my clutch. After reading of the difficulties others had and the methods they used to bleed the clutch, I was a bit worried about how long it would take. Fortunately, all went well the first time and I have no doubt it was the experience on this forum that helped me through it. My point being that you've already taken the most important step. :thumbsup:

My method: I first bench bled the master on the handlebar. Then I connected the line at the master and hand pumped until I saw it coming out consistently at the other end. Then I attached the line at the slave cylinder and used a vacuum tool to pull the fluid into the slave.

The last step took the longest, probably because I started with a dry slave cylinder.

I want to thank all here for the great info that's been posted. But a special thanks to GeorgeS for the help he has given, and continues to give, in personal messages. Very, very much appreciated! :clap2: