IGNORED

Oil Coming From Center Cover

OK I started on the rebuild of my Clutch Slave Cylander, and following the instructions in my service manual, it says remove the middle gear case cover and then says "NOTE: ...be sure oil does not leak out of the case." Well. oil did leak out of the case, about a half a cup, give or take. Well, the manual doesn't say what to doif it does leak. So, what is it trying to tel me?? Careful, oil may leak out so replace it, or if it leaks it means you have a bad gasket or seal somewhere?? Any ideas???

The bottom bolt has a copper gasket... because THAT bolt hole actually goes into the case interior cavity. The normal routine is to pull the bolts, pull the cover and then put a bolt BACK in the bottom spot to stop the oil leak.

No great shakes, you've done everything perfect... except for that half a cup of oil on the garage floor... but you are in company.

When all is said and done, feel free to put 1/2 cup of oil back in the case.

Be CAREFULL with those two allen head screws securing the slave... they are WAY recessed and if you don't use a good condition, deep allen, you can bugger them up and then it's REALLY a hassle.

I broke the sidestand switch mount plate free to give me room to get the slave out... it's still a chinese finger puzzle of turn, pull, lower, twist to get out but it WILL walk right out.

If you put it on centerstand "most" of the time it won't leak. On sidestand it leaks a little. Not enough to worry about. Check it and if below center of sight glass you could add a little. If you can see it in glass I wouldn't worry about it.

had my cover off two times and both times oil came out(once was for the slave rebuild). i would say this is normal. make sure when reinstalling the cover, that the screw with the copper washer goes in the bottom center hole.

I just rebuilt my clutch master cyclinder and activator and I also had oil leak out. I figured some would even though they say be careful not too. I did have the bike on its centerstand also.I had already drained the oil out of the engine anyway and this was what was left in the transmission so it was replaced when I refilled the oil. I found the easiest way to get the activator out was to more the wires and then bend the tab that holds them out of the way a bit and that made the job of removal alot easier. I tried to see where to remove it but never did see a nut or bolt that held it in. I also took the time to install the speed bleeder and found I had to back it out a couple turns before it would bleed the system.

Good Luck..

Rick F..

OK thanks for the responses! The bike is on the centerstand. I had no real problem breaking the 2 screws loose with my long handled allen wrench and a crescent wrench. I had more problem with the bolts on the cover. The guy before me painted the covers black to hide the yellowed/chipping clearcoat. I actualy broke a cheap allen wrench in two (Actually a couple of them) with those screws. Finally broke down and got my good Craftsman set out of the trunk of the scoot. The slave is still in the engine waiting on the new hose to come in this Friday. Figured on using a set of slip joint pliers to grasp and wiggle the slave out when the time comes. The manual recommends disconnecting the hose firstr. I see where it is a great idea to move the stator wires out of the way too!!

Haven't changed the oil since last summer so it's a good a time as any to change! Also doing new plugs and wires while I'm at it...

Oh, yeah, also a good time to replace my defective sidestand switch ans remove the jumper on the connector!

I always remove that lower bolt with the copper washer every oil change to get that cup or whatever of dirty oil out of there. I think I learned that on this forum. It's gotta be normal for oil to be inside that cover; there's a bearing in there that needs lube.

I just looked at the manual, and I think they are just letting you know that you may have a mess on your hands. They don't tell you to drain the oil first, so obviously when the bike is vertical the oil from the sump shouldn't drain out (which it didn't), but if you tried to do the job on the sidestand you might drain a bunch of oil. It it worded kinda weird.

Jeremy