IGNORED

Replace fork oil with new springs?

OK I admit I’m a bit lazy. The fork seals were replaced a few months ago including (I’m assuming) new oil, now I’m installing progressive springs. Do I need to drain the fork oil since it’s still almost new or can I just pull out the old springs and put in the new?

Thanks,

Al

PS how do you get the old spring out, with a coat hanger or something?

OK I admit I’m a bit lazy. The fork seals were replaced a few months ago including (I’m assuming) new oil, now I’m installing progressive springs. Do I need to drain the fork oil since it’s still almost new or can I just pull out the old springs and put in the new?

Thanks,

Al

Well Al, the springs shopuld be easy to get to in fact exercice some caution when removing the top caps as they will be under some load from underneath.

There may also be a spacer and a fender washer or two under there.

Be sure to loosen the pinch bolts on the top triple clamp before trying to remove those top caps or thread damage to the top caps could run you about 30.00 per plug from MamaYamaha.

As far as the oil if you are ok with the weight and oil height you can leave that in there.

:thumbsup2:

The New Springs are made of Larger Diameter Material.

So, the Springs take up more Cubic Volume inside the forks,

Therefore, less space for Oil.

With new springs installed, you have to use about 1 Oz. Less Oil in each Fork.

The eaisest way to do this is to Drain, are put back oz less then the Stock amount.

Thanks,

Al

With your Progressive springs will come directions explaining how to measure the amount of oil needed and the proper height for the spacer for pre-load on the springs. Be sure that the tubes are collapsed when taking your measurement.

Dick