IGNORED

1200 or 1300 in the 84?

My 84 was in storage for 12 years. It runs strong with no second gear issues but I do have a oil leak somewhere. It seems to be dripping a little down on the collector. The motor uses no oil and only has 22K on it.

I have an 89 engine complete minus starter with only 15k. Should I change out the motors to avoid the 2nd gear issue that may show up later. This swap would fix the oil issue as well. Is this a plug and play exchange or are the carbs different. The 84 probably has the plastic impeller on the water pump as well.

I might decide to keep the 89 engine until I loose second gear later then swap it out. The engine cases are a lot cleaner on the 89 compared to the 84.I think the head wrench at Skid's garage could handle this job.

Run it until second goes...if it ever does. I know there's a difference in the carburation between the 83 and later years, but I'm not sure if the change came in 84. Basically the vacuum advance line comes off the manafold in later models and off the carb in 83's. Kind of a pre/post vacuum issue. Besides the 1200 is a bit faster.....:whistling:

Litttle difference in them. I was thinking change was 86 or maybe the late 85s. The late 85s have a good 2nd gear I think have the number written down somewhere when change was made.2nd gear is a ways down the road yet if it does go and that engine would be well worth learning the 2nd gear fix on. I know another that needs done.

The 83 carbs are different than all later years. 84 up are the same. 83 through 85 are 1200cc and 86 on are 1300. The 1200's had what is called a YICS system and I believe the 1300's don't have this but if you change engines it wouldn't be a problem. As far as engine swap, they are identical but as has been said, it is a lot of work and I wouldn't do it if I never had to. It is nice to know that you have a back-up engine in case anything ever went bad on the primary though.

Dick

Remember, we had the same problem, oil leak on the collector on Clays bike, and it was the valve cover gasket............you think???

Froggy I would suspect the oil leak to be either from the slave cyl ( deteriorated rubber) or the shifter seal

Jeff