IGNORED

Instrument panel disassembly help.

My speedometer neddle is resting on bottom of the instrument panel. Been this way since I bought the bike. I thought I would open up the instrument panel and see if i can re-attach the needle.

I have the instrument panel out of the bike (using the great instructions found on this site). I've removed the 6 pan-head screws located along edge of the back panel. The illumination knob seems to be preventing a complete speration however. There doesn't appear to be an obvious way of removing the knob externally. Am I missing something (probably)? Any help help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Vince

84' Venture

The odometer is still working. Not sure if that indicates the rest of the speedo is also working. I bought some "Kable-Ease" cable lubricant from the local auto parts store. I'm in the process of putting every thing back together right now. I'll update my results.

I attempted to do the same thing today, but couldn't get the little screw out. That was my first thought.

Is it a crosshead or a hex head? I imagine mine is backed with 24 years of gunk.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I used a very small philips(cross) screwdriver and it came right off.

No go. Lubed my cable, hooked everything back up. Odometer still works, but no speedo. Also, the left side of my dash is almost completely in the dark. May have been that way before I took the instrument panel out for the speedo. Tonight was the first time I've rode the bike at night since I got it. Very warm here in N. Calif for this time of year. 66F at 7pm. Perfect for riding. I had a smile on my face even though my speedo still isn't working.icon7.gif

Should I give up on this speedometer? Is there any way to get inside it and fix something? Maybe I'll head to the local junkyard and look for gen 1 Ventures. Worth a try I suppose.

The speedometer needle has no direct mechanical connection to the odometer. The cable drives a worm gear to drive the odometer, and spins a magnet that sits inside a "bowl" to which the speedometer needle is attached......so its magnetic force that causes the needle to move, with a spring on the needle to bring it back down to zero. Ensure nothing is interfering with the needle movement.....you can rotate the "bowl" and should see the needle react. Once you have freed it up, if you rotate the cable CCW where it enters the speedometer housing you can check operation prior to reinstalling the dash.

Edited by Neil86

When you're putting the top cover back on, be sure and make sure the needle for the volt meter is above the stop. If you don't the needle can't move UP when you turn on the ignition! I spend a good part of one day troubleshooting my charging system before realizing this little fact! Doh!!!!

When you're putting the top cover back on, be sure and make sure the needle for the volt meter is above the stop. If you don't the needle can't move UP when you turn on the ignition! I spend a good part of one day troubleshooting my charging system before realizing this little fact! Doh!!!!

Temp gauge too. That one seems willing to move backwards on the wrong side. I have a buddy that has one like that.

Looks like the old speedo is shot. Lot's of metal shavings and it appears that part of the bracket that holds the "bowl" is broken. Not sure if anything can be done to salvage it.

Good news however. I bought a complete instrument panel off ebay for an 83' I swapped the speedo and the tach from the 83' (much better condition than my 84'). Works like a charm.

Today I realized that I've been riding a little faster than I thought. :-)