IGNORED

One Horn, Two Horn, Red Horn, Blue Horn

A while back, some one posed a question concerning air horns. The OP asked the opinions of those who had installed two or more of the Stebel type air horns. This person wanted to know if the dual horn configuration was a more noticable improvement over using a single horn. Well, while not using the Stebel brand horns, I did in fact use the "Bad Boy" type that Harbor Freight sells.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/94100-94199/94117.gif

I installed two of them, one on each side, and had the wiring finished up by last Thursday night. I had my opportunity to give the dual set-up a run for the money today when I rode in our local Veteran's Day Parade. I rode with our local Gold Wing group (don't worry, I was riding my 1st gen VR) and there were about 15 bikes in our group. There were approximately 4 of us (that I could hear) that had air horns on our bikes, and mine were by far the loudest. I'm very happy with the dual set-up.

In using just a single horn, I noticed that it clearly sounded as if the horn was only monted on one side of the bike, which it was. But when I added the second horn to the other side, it was a difference like night and day. True stereophonic sound! Response was instantanious. There was no hesitation, I had sound the very instant my thumb hit the button. So, are two horns better than one? You bet!

do you have to rewire for the bad boy horns or can I just hook them up to the factory horn switch?

Tahnks in advance.

David

You've got to rewire for either the Bad Boy or the Steble. But the factory horn wires can be hooked directly into the supplied relay. The hot wires are then rub to the batter and horn, with a ground wire coming off the horn. The stock horn button and wiring will not handle the current draw for the new horns.

A while back, some one posed a question concerning air horns. The OP asked the opinions of those who had installed two or more of the Stebel type air horns. This person wanted to know if the dual horn configuration was a more noticable improvement over using a single horn. Well, while not using the Stebel brand horns, I did in fact use the "Bad Boy" type that Harbor Freight sells.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/94100-94199/94117.gif

I installed two of them, one on each side, and had the wiring finished up by last Thursday night. I had my opportunity to give the dual set-up a run for the money today when I rode in our local Veteran's Day Parade. I rode with our local Gold Wing group (don't worry, I was riding my 1st gen VR) and there were about 15 bikes in our group. There were approximately 4 of us (that I could hear) that had air horns on our bikes, and mine were by far the loudest. I'm very happy with the dual set-up.

In using just a single horn, I noticed that it clearly sounded as if the horn was only monted on one side of the bike, which it was. But when I added the second horn to the other side, it was a difference like night and day. True stereophonic sound! Response was instantanious. There was no hesitation, I had sound the very instant my thumb hit the button. So, are two horns better than one? You bet!

That horn is also available in Chrome. I run a pair I got from J.C. Whitney on my 89.

Make sure the power lead is heavy enough and they'll wake the dead.

I have mine mounted below and in front of the front crash bars. Unfortunately, I took no pics of the wiring part (I've hidden the majority of it in the frame and fairing anyway), but I've attached a photo of the left horn shortly after I installed it. A lot of members here do not recommend mounting the horns where I did. But I don't drive through water deep enough to harm the horns and so far I've had no problems with them being mounted this way. But if you prefer them up where the stock horns were, Squigley makes a dandy mounting bracket.

Oh baby!

I just THOUGHT these horns sounded good. They out did everyone else's in the group I rode with in the parade yesterday and I was happy about that. But that was at speeds barely above a walking speed and in between tall buildings. This afternoon I took the bike out for a ride on a good, paved farm to market road. I was going 60 MPH into about a 25 MPH headwind. I hit the horns just for kicks and was amazed at the volume and quality of sound. It was music to my ears! I highly recommend the dual horn set-up now!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Stebel mounted on top of the front cylinders (with zip-ties) and it works fine. I just used the wiring from the stock horns. They don't seem to draw enough more power to make a difference. But then, I'm not on them more than a few seconds.....maybe ten seconds in a rage!!!

The thought of adding another is set

interesting though!!! :scratchchin: I may have to

work on that! I need to stop by

Harbor anyway.

So I was out riding again the other day................out on a country road all by myself. There was no one around and not a house or other traffic for as far as the eye could see. I figured I'd give 'em a good long blast just for giggles. To my surprise, as soon as I lifted my thumb from the button the clouds began to part in the sky in front of me. I sat in awe as the very gates of Heaven suddenly appeared in the sky. As I was watching this spectacle, the gates began to open............an angel stepped out as if anxiously looking for someone. He then looked down upon me and said," Oh. It's you. Pffffffffft!" He did an abrupt about face and went back in.

I mounted mine in the stock location. I fabbed up some angled brackets to replace the multi leafed ones on the stock horns. To keep them from sticking out too far I angled them back about 45 degrees.

I made the brackets from the part that joins 2 sections of garage door opener together. My brother in law used to work for Genie and I ended up with a box of spare hardware.

The relays are along the frame rails. The stock horn wires plug up to the relays. The power from the horns comes down the frame rail to the relay. I have a 30 amp in line fuse to the + bat terminal supplying them. They are grounded to whatever fastener happens to be there, might be a radiator mount.

Dang Carl, looks like you been visiting Frogman with all those water drops on your bike!! You sure you haven't been imitating those KTM and BMW's we see in those ads crossing the creeks?!

I've got the Bad Boy on mine, saved my butt more than once! Might just add one for the left side!

Dan

• 1 year later...
Guest Ken8143
I have mine mounted below and in front of the front crash bars. Unfortunately, I took no pics of the wiring part (I've hidden the majority of it in the frame and fairing anyway), but I've attached a photo of the left horn shortly after I installed it. A lot of members here do not recommend mounting the horns where I did. But I don't drive through water deep enough to harm the horns and so far I've had no problems with them being mounted this way. But if you prefer them up where the stock horns were, Squigley makes a dandy mounting bracket.

Has someone actually mounted the Stebel horns on Squidley's bracket? Right now I have the OEM horns and passing lights on the bracket. How will the Stebels fit there? I got to have some more noise! I want to create the pucker factor when folks need a wake up call.

The Squid doesn't make those brackets anymore, but you could use a piece like MiCarl shows in his pics. BTW, mine didn't work at all with the stock wiring, use the stock wiring to power your relay, then run a fused wire from the battery + post thru the contacts on the relay and then down to the horn. The relay can be tucked up under the false cover on a 1st gen and inside the fairing on a 2nd gen.

Here's a pic of my setup, should work for you too.

Guest Ken8143
The Squid doesn't make those brackets anymore, but you could use a piece like MiCarl shows in his pics. BTW, mine didn't work at all with the stock wiring, use the stock wiring to power your relay, then run a fused wire from the battery + post thru the contacts on the relay and then down to the horn. The relay can be tucked up under the false cover on a 1st gen and inside the fairing on a 2nd gen.

Here's a pic of my setup, should work for you too.

Should have clarified - I have the Squidley mounts already installed. BTW I think they are great! Great location for the passing lights. Just hoping there would be space to mount the other horns on his mounts in place of the OEM horns.

I should have noticed it in your thread, it eventually hit me after I did the "DOH" moment. Bad Boys and Stebels are basically the same horn, a single 1/4-20 bolt coming out the back of it. You may have to drill a hole like I did right at the bottom as in the photo below. But I would almost assume you have done this with the original horn.

• 2 weeks later...