IGNORED

Known Problems ('83 Venture Royale).

NLAlston

Hello all.

I just happened across Freebird's post (http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1066), and was so happy that I did. I am a little concerned over these issues (especially the Stator & the 2nd gear issue, as I assume that these two would be the costliest to rectify) because I just recently purchased an '83 Venture Royale, and will be picking it up from the dealership, tomorrow.

I am not mechanically inclined, and really don't have the 'depth of pocket' by which to have any such needed work performed by a professional. I am sure that this will give lead for many to wonder why I chose to involve myself in such a pastime - when being positioned within such narrow financial parameters. The answer is, simply, that I love biking.

I know that the bike I'm getting is 24 years old, and that parts DO wear out . But I am stepping out, on faith, that (first) the Good Lord will grant me safety & well-being, and (secondly) that I will know a decent amount of riding time before any heavy repairs are warranted.

I will have a 30 day warranty period, and I was wondering if there was a way that the Stator, and shift assembly could be tested/checked for their levels of worth, and capability. Or would the situation with the Stator be such that you wouldn't know of a problem with it until it went? As far as riding the bike to tell how the shifting goes with it, I (naturally) have no experience with it - so I'd have no way of telling whether or not it felt right . I remember, 15-16 years back, how I had occasion to ride a number of different bikes. Some were very easy shifters, while others were not, and I would have no way of knowing what is characteristic for any particular bike - as opposed to something being wrong.

Any direction in this matter would be greatly appreciated, and I offer many advanced thanks.

Not every bike has the problems mine was built 10/83 no second gear issues and no stator issues, it should roll over 100 000 this year, whatever happens none of the problems are going to leave you anywhere.

I don't rock and roll on second, and i have not added any electrical stuff.

If you aren't mechanically inclined,you soon will be,otherwise don't buy a 25 year old motorcycle. Repairing the bike is operator maintenance and the cost of riding. Obtain quality tools, you have the same amount of hands and fingers as the guys who built it so with a little interest and patience you will fix it.

(snap up a parts bike if one happens along)

Not every bike has the problems mine was built 10/83 no second gear issues and no stator issues, it should roll over 100 000 this year, whatever happens none of the problems are going to leave you anywhere.

I don't rock and roll on second, and i have not added any electrical stuff.

If you aren't mechanically inclined,you soon will be,otherwise don't buy a 25 year old motorcycle. Repairing the bike is operator maintenance and the cost of riding. Obtain quality tools, you have the same amount of hands and fingers as the guys who built it so with a little interest and patience you will fix it.

(snap up a parts bike if one happens along)

Either that, or talk to Condor in Carmichael, or Fred in Pahrump (he's got his own wrecking yard of 1st gens., and they might be able to help you out. I owned and 83 for almost 17 years. Liked it so much, I wish they would put it out for sale again, don't think any touring bike will ever touch the first gen.:thumbsup2:

I have owned my 83 for almost 3 years now, and havent encountered the stator problem, but as for second gear, I still have it, but if I get on it really hard n second it will sometimes pop out, doesnt happen often as I tend to take it easy, my hot rodding days are over, so I expect 2nd gear to hold up at least till I hit 100,000 miles, it now has 77,000 miles on it. Im hoping to replace it with something newer in the near future.........I find the shifting is very smooth and not difficult at all and neutral is very easy to find.........Enjoy your ride and ride safe.:15_8_211[1]:

Hello DR,

Like yourself, I am no 'Hot Rodder' either. I would enjoy just taking a long, easy rides through the countrysides, while marveling at God's handiwork of our lands. I live in the city, but my every venture :) would be aimed at getting out to land, land, and more land.

For the matter at hand, I am just hoping that the dealership was being 'square' with me about that bike. If so, I WILL be riding tomorrow evening. If they weren't, well...

I have owned my 83 for almost 3 years now, and havent encountered the stator problem, but as for second gear, I still have it, but if I get on it really hard n second it will sometimes pop out, doesnt happen often as I tend to take it easy, my hot rodding days are over, so I expect 2nd gear to hold up at least till I hit 100,000 miles, it now has 77,000 miles on it. Im hoping to replace it with something newer in the near future.........I find the shifting is very smooth and not difficult at all and neutral is very easy to find.........Enjoy your ride and ride safe.:15_8_211[1]:

First of all Nathan, welcome to VentureRiders and welcome to the world of a 1st gen Ventures. We are glad to have you here.

Not that it absolutely matters, but how many miles does your Venture have on it? I say that because with the 2nd gear problem, even though it is somewhat of a common problem, if it does start to happen, it will be as low as 39,000 miles, as mine was or it may not happen at 137,000 miles as another one I know of. And, unless you know the history of the bike, it may have been fixed anyway.

The problem of the bike jumping, like it jumps out of gear and back in very quickly, will initially start under a heavy load such as wide open throttle. Then over time it will get to the point that about any pull on it in 2nd gear will cause it to jump. Some talk of the bike jumping out of gear, but with mine, it would not jump out of gear completely, but only for a split second and be back in gear. Mine started at 39,000 miles as I noted, but it was about 8,000 miles before I fixed it.

The way that you want to check if you have a problem is to do some hard pulls in 2nd gear. If it does not do it under medium throttle, make some wide open throttle pulls up to at least the redline. Don't be afraid of hurting anything, these bikes love to rev and 7,500 rpms is fine. If you do this several times and everything seems fine, you may be ok. Just do it in a good place because these bikes can get to going fast in a hurry.

As far as the stator problem, there was a fix(kind of), that does prolong the stator, but it is like a car, by the time a car gets almost 25 years old, you will probably have changed the alternator too. These stators are readily available and not hard to change with the technical support on here.

Best of luck and keep us posted on what you find out.

RandyA

I have an 83. No 2nd gear issue no stator issue. Now I did get the 4th and 5th gear issue. But so far most of the work has been what I wanted to do. My scoot is my daily ride. And I have a 43 mile ride one way. Last year it was 48. I love my scoot. You will too. One warning, she is one top heavy beast. Baby gots back :)

Hello all.

I just happened across Freebird's post (http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1066), and was so happy that I did. I am a little concerned over these issues (especially the Stator & the 2nd gear issue, as I assume that these two would be the costliest to rectify) because I just recently purchased an '83 Venture Royale, and will be picking it up from the dealership, tomorrow.

I am not mechanically inclined, and really don't have the 'depth of pocket' by which to have any such needed work performed by a professional. I am sure that this will give lead for many to wonder why I chose to involve myself in such a pastime - when being positioned within such narrow financial parameters. The answer is, simply, that I love biking.

I know that the bike I'm getting is 24 years old, and that parts DO wear out . But I am stepping out, on faith, that (first) the Good Lord will grant me safety & well-being, and (secondly) that I will know a decent amount of riding time before any heavy repairs are warranted.

I will have a 30 day warranty period, and I was wondering if there was a way that the Stator, and shift assembly could be tested/checked for their levels of worth, and capability. Or would the situation with the Stator be such that you wouldn't know of a problem with it until it went? As far as riding the bike to tell how the shifting goes with it, I (naturally) have no experience with it - so I'd have no way of telling whether or not it felt right . I remember, 15-16 years back, how I had occasion to ride a number of different bikes. Some were very easy shifters, while others were not, and I would have no way of knowing what is characteristic for any particular bike - as opposed to something being wrong.

Any direction in this matter would be greatly appreciated, and I offer many advanced thanks.

To test the second gear just lug it down hard in low rpm's. If second starts to jump out of gear it's starting to go. If nothing happens you're good to go. The stator is not a great expense to replace. Rebuilts are in the $100-$125 range, and it takes a couple hours to do it. There is a way to check out put by checking resistance in the wire connector. Do a search on 'stator' and there's a ton of posts on the subject on this board. BTW I lived in East Amherst when I was a very young kid.....:no-no-no:

Thanks again, everyone. I tell ya...this is one great place, with the best folk.

RandyA, I honestly have NO idea WHAT the mileage is on this bike. I was initially told that the speedometer reading of 20K+ was original/actual, but I am thinking that there could be another 100K on top of this. I am hoping that the salesperson was being truthful with me, and will find out later today (when I am supposed to take possession of the bike, and the history record will be requested).

I love this bike. 'never owned one before, but did have the opportunity to ride a friend's 1st gen. about 16 years ago. He'd always let me borrow it, when he was working, and I would have that bike everywhere. It was just an extreme pleasure to ride, and I always knew that I would (one day) like to have one.

If all goes well for me, later today, I will be sure to post pics immediately - to share with my venture family. Thanks again - to EVERYONE - for your very kind support.

Guest Calcruiser

I picked up an 83 with only 13K (genuine) miles a couple of months ago.

Had NO idea what I was buying (been around bikes for a while but nothing like this so took a chance. Really pleased with the great help and advise available through this site.

Anyways, price seemed too good and I am quite handy with the wrenches.

Back brake was not working, otherwise not much else seemed wrong.

Have spent many hours going through ALL the advice about what to look out for on a 24 year old bike as I am planning on taking a 2000+ trip in the next few weeks.

Just this weekend finally got the bike out for 100+ miles and everthing seems to be good. Planning on another couple of 100's before setting off (Monterey to Seattle)

2nd seems fine (really flogged it today and nothing!).

My concerns are the low mileage on the bike and just how far should I go changing things that seem totally fine!

Would love to hear any and all words of wisedom and to know if there are any other Venture's heading north in early July.

Thanks and so far, seem one hell of a bike!!!

Calcruiser

Really nothing more than the typical things to start with. Age of the tires, flush/change the brake fluid, oil, etc. I would pull the rear wheel and grease the drive shaft U-Joint, check and possibly change brake pads. They are great bikes. There are some things to check and watch as you go along but that is where I would start.

Welcome to the board William. Have a good trip to Seattle and back. Most of us in NorCal will be headed to Ft Collins Co. in 2 weeks for a 2K+ run ourselves. You're welcome to join in if the Seattle trip isn't pressing. The next time we have a NorCal meet'n'eat you'll have to drop by and visit some of your VR neighbors. 1stGens are great bikes....'specially those '83VRs. As far as maintenance on yours, like Don said, fluids, tires, battery, are just about it. Need any help just shout.

Welcome to the boards! Don't worry about fixing stuff, the people here will help you fix any problems! I know they have helped me do a ton of stuff and I am not handy with a wrench!

Looking forward to the pics.

Guest Calcruiser

Great advice from you guys - really impressed by the genuine friendships and interets there is on this site (you post something sensible on Craigslist for example and just get a bunch of BS from rice rocket guys!)

So far, I HAVE NOT removed the driveshaft but would make sense to check it before leaving. What grease would you recommend?

Tires are about 50% Rear and 70% Front. No cracks, nicks, blisters sidewalls all solid. What sort of mileage can you expect on a Rear (normal riding)?

Have changed all fluids (except fork oil but sounds like should do it), pads, plugs, filters. Will be riding solo but have gear - 15 fork oil sound right?

Also wondering - what do you all use for coolant? Just water or the 'fancy stuff'?

Condor, If I did not have a wedding to attend, I would CERTAINLY go to Ft Collins. Hope to meet with some fellow VR'S over the summer.

Have a safe and wonderful ride to Ft Collins and thanks again.

Calcruisert

OK...I've added my answers to your message. I'm sure you will get other opinions also.

Great advice from you guys - really impressed by the genuine friendships and interets there is on this site (you post something sensible on Craigslist for example and just get a bunch of BS from rice rocket guys!)

So far, I HAVE NOT removed the driveshaft but would make sense to check it before leaving. What grease would you recommend?

Really, any good Moly based grease will be just fine. Honda actually makes a good one that many recommend.

Tires are about 50% Rear and 70% Front. No cracks, nicks, blisters sidewalls all solid. What sort of mileage can you expect on a Rear (normal riding)?

You will get varying answers on that one. It depends on tire brands, road surfaces, maintaining proper air pressure, etc. Some have a hard time getting more than 8,000 or so but some get 12,000 and more.

Have changed all fluids (except fork oil but sounds like should do it), pads, plugs, filters. Will be riding solo but have gear - 15 fork oil sound right?

That should be fine. You may find the fork springs to be worn out. They just don't last forever. If they seem week, they probably are. Most install Progressive Springs as a replacement.

Also wondering - what do you all use for coolant? Just water or the 'fancy stuff'?

YES...use a coolant. Just make sure that it is for aluminum engines. There are a lot of them out there.

Condor, If I did not have a wedding to attend, I would CERTAINLY go to Ft Collins. Hope to meet with some fellow VR'S over the summer.

Have a safe and wonderful ride to Ft Collins and thanks again.

Calcruisert