IGNORED

Cruise Falling Out

During the time my 02 Midnight was under warranty it would lose the cruise whenever I hit a hard bump. It would have to be turned off then back on and then be reset to speed. Now that it is out of warranty it hardly takes any bump at all without going out. I've looked through all 57 pages of post and did not see anyone mention this paticular problem with their cruise. Has it happened? What should I look ford? It is not a brake or clutch relay. If it was I could just reset the speed. It goes off and the dash lights begin blinking. :confused07:

Could be the clutch or brake lever. They both have a micro switch that gets dirty etc,

Try riding while lightly pushing forward on the levers with a finger and see if it helps.

Try each side to locate the problem. Had the same problem on my 1st gen clutch lever, cleaned out the crud and adjusted the cable and it fixed it

Good luck

just my 2.4 cents worth

Darrin:fingers-crossed-emo

The blinking dash light sounds to me as the Ignition switch . That is the only thing that will make it blink the dash lights. My 1999 venture did it and now my 06 venture was just changed because of the same thing.

Yes the fringes on the handles could cause the cruise to kick out but not the blinking dash lights.

You might have more then one problems happening at the same time.

Good luck

Either brake lever and the clutch lever will trip the cruise control off. Sometimes certain bumps will trip my cruise as well.

The brake or clutch will not cause his problem. If either of them are tripped, he could still just hit the 'resume' since the cruise was just unlocked - not turned off. He stated earlier that it completely turned off, didn't just release.

Ignition switch is sounding more and more likely.

Good luck and make sure to let us know what it was.

RR

My 2007 RSV has done it a few times in the year and a half since I bought it...always when hitting a significant bump at highway speeds. It won't turn off, it just disengages. I hit the resume and everything's fine.

I ride a lot with 2 fingers covering the front brake lever, so I sometimes wondered if it was me accidently bumping the lever when I hit a big bump... but it happened this week and I know my fingers were all on the grip, so that theory's out the window.

My 2007 RSV has done it a few times in the year and a half since I bought it...always when hitting a significant bump at highway speeds. It won't turn off, it just disengages. I hit the resume and everything's fine.

I ride a lot with 2 fingers covering the front brake lever, so I sometimes wondered if it was me accidently bumping the lever when I hit a big bump... but it happened this week and I know my fingers were all on the grip, so that theory's out the window.

The cruise dropping out on a hard bump is just normal operation on this bike (but not the flashing lights). A hard bump causes the rear brake peddle to deflect slightly, causing the brake light switch to slightly move, disengaging the cruise. This problem is exacerbated by the vertical position of the switch. If it happens too often, consider checking the adjustment of the switch per the manual, and set it to the outer limit that allows the most movement before it activates.

I know the manual states that the flashing lights is a built-in indication of system problems. One of my RSVs DID show that symptom only while being ridden in a LONG HARD DRENCHING rain and then triggering the cruise drop from the front brake (using the rear brake or cancel button caused no problems, but it took quite a bit of experimentation to isolate that!). Like others have said, just turning off the system, then back on put it right back to normal, and the problem went away after the bike fully dried out. The problem was 100% reproduce-able while the bike was soaked in that storm and one other, so it clearly was only related to the signal from the front brake switch, but I can't say exactly what.

The rest of this is simply speculation on my part. I have never experienced the flashing lights after the cruise was tripped from a bump, but it seems possible that it could be triggered by a couple of almost simultaneous signals coming from a bounce in the brake switch, like vibration. I HAVE experienced electronic circuits that are sensitive to multiple triggers like that, and internal switch bounce was a huge problem in early circuit designs. On the chance that is what is causing the problem, I'd probably slightly adjust the rear brake switch to change the activation point, thus reducing the chance that it would trigger twice from a big bump. If that does not fix it, the next thing I would try is to temporarily disconnect the front brake switch. I only suggest this since I know that the one time I experienced the problem was related to my front brake switch. With it disconnected, go find a bump that causes the cruise to drop out and see if the problem is gone. On the slight chance that it is, I can tell you how to go about determining if it is the switch itself or the electronic circuit. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose