IGNORED

Air pressure in suspension

As Cleavon Little once said... (In Blazing Saddles).... "Hep me! Hep me!"

Wife and I took a short (125 mile) ride yesterday and I am having trouble getting the best ride with the suspension. I'm 290lbs and wife is a little under 130 and maybe hauling 10lbs in bags and trunk. Started out at 35lbs rear and 3lbs front. Not too bad on smooth pavement but a little harsh. I tried dropping the front to 0 since it seemed to be too rough up front. Finally got on some pavement where the exp joints were raised a bit and it was killin' us! Went to 45lbs rear and 7lbs front and it seemed better but still harsher than we would expect from a Venture. If I had an M/C tire on the rear I would be singing tenor today.

What setting would you guys recommend? More in the rear? Or is this as good as I should expect?

That will be the best you will get with stock shocks. Perhaps upgrading to Progressive springs on the front and/or a Works shock on the rear will help. Are you running a CT?

Either that, or a couple of good Airhawk seat pads.

Or, go on a diet. :stickpoke:

(I just put up with the ride rather than diet - I'm about 260 and the bride is about 120. It's a whole lot easier to deal with).

RR

How's your tire pressure? May be higher then needed. Thats about the only time mine get choppy.

I still have never tried air in the forks. I run just enough in the back to keep it from bottoming, usually 25-35 pounds. The two of us weigh about the same as the two of you. Some of the cattle crossings here show me if I have too little.

Jerry

That will be the best you will get with stock shocks. Perhaps upgrading to Progressive springs on the front and/or a Works shock on the rear will help. Are you running a CT?

Either that, or a couple of good Airhawk seat pads.

Or, go on a diet. :stickpoke:

(I just put up with the ride rather than diet - I'm about 260 and the bride is about 120. It's a whole lot easier to deal with).

RR

I think I need to air down the CT a bit. It does so well that I keep forgetting that it's there. We have been riding at 40-42 lbs but I'm told as they break-in that they do as well or better with less pressure. Somewhere around 32 lbs.

Oh, and the diet is good advice. I'm down about 80 lbs in the last year and 1/2. And you probably thought my username was overdoing it! :happy34:

So what is everyone running pound wise in there shocks? Mine is what ever it came with witch is fine when its just me but she does go down alot with two of us on her. I do need to get me a pump and bring the back up. Im about 6 2 and 198 and she probably around 135. Any ideas on a good preasure?

The best pressure will be up to you. For me I run zero by myself. My legs are short enough that I like the little bit the back end settles when I get on. I do figure it is the opposite of putting the links on the back raising it for lighter handling. I find it is lighter if I keep some air in the back but with the smaller front tire it is still good enough for me and I don't have any bottoming issues.

I find the bike is much heavier handling with a passenger and the back end down. I dropped it the first time I had my wife on it and no air (and only 7 miles on the clock). Went by Yamaha for a pump and they didn't know what I was talking about. I ended up with one from Harley for about $44 out the door. After experimenting I run from 25 to 35 PSI in the rear depending on the road. 25 is good enough for the load but sometimes the suspension will run out of travel on the big bumps. You will be able to feel it when that happens and just put in a bit more.

Jerry

So what is everyone running pound wise in there shocks? Mine is what ever it came with witch is fine when its just me but she does go down alot with two of us on her. I do need to get me a pump and bring the back up. Im about 6 2 and 198 and she probably around 135. Any ideas on a good preasure?

If you got it new, it came with zero in the shocks.

I run 0 in the front and 35 to 40 in the rear. I need to play with the front a little bit. On the roads I ride to work everyday, there are a few curves that cause a little wobble, but I tend to think it is the road. Same spot every day.