IGNORED

A bee in my bonnet

Marcarl

I realize that static in the headsets is often caused by where the leads are routed, but I have not discovered as to why one day the static is totally unreaonable and the next day it cannot be detected. No wires have been moved, infact, nothing has been done to my scoot except the fact that it has rested for 2 whole days, all by itself without any companionship.

Now seeing as we have well over 2000 members on this forum it seems to me that someone might have an explanation for this.

I've seen similar problems with bad grounds, either power or audio ground. Maybe check for something loose, touching good sometimes, sometimes not. I don't know what your system looks like but possibly even the case of something trying to find ground when screwed down onto a painted part. You may want to see that whatever the main unit is that it is grounded good, maybe even with a wire attaching its case to the frame or negative side of the battery.

It this audio system stock on the 1st gens? I don’t know a thing about those antiques :whistling: but I wouldn’t mind looking at the design.

Jerry

I'm using stock (1985) radio and amp with a 1986 CB. The noise was there before I installed the CB, so I'm guessing that's not it. I've run ground wires from the amp and radio to the chassis and have good ground. I've tried rerouting wires but it don't seem to make no never mind.

I've run ground wires from the amp and radio to the chassis and have good ground. I've tried rerouting wires but it don't seem to make no never mind.

Curious did you run a ground direct to the BAttery just to be sure ?

Brad

Thanks Brad!

Carl

For the other half of my 2 cents worth...referencing the 3rd page of the wiring diagram .pdf. it’s worth checking the grounding at:

Item 90, the riders remote controller unit but maybe even more so at item 91, the remote controller box.

This is going on that you already checked the amp item 79. Item 80, the tuner is sort of interesting in that it shows it as sharing the amps ground. It also seems odd that there is no ground at what seems to be the passengers headset unit, item 85. I would have expected a ground at what is suspect is a remote volume control but I really don't know just what that circuit looks like.

If the noise could be at all matched to engine speed changes it would be worth checking item 76, the filter.

Other then that there is always checking all the connections.

Jerry

Carl:

I was browsing eBay and came across a CB / Radio noise filter. I know you got the CB from an 86 and wondered if this filter comes with it or is it something that comes with the radio. Does your bike have this filter?

Item #: 230145066136

I always wondered after I had my 03 RSV if electical grease from Radio Shack would have helped. Anyone have any luck with that ?

I will let you know in a day or so I just put die electric grease on my connections under the fairing.

Maybe my noise will stop now.

Brad