IGNORED

Bias Ply or Radial Tires

Big Hack

I ride a 93 Venture Royal, it has Bridgestones on it now, but I'm wanting to replace the tires on it. I'm just been rideing for about 4 months now so my knowledge is little. Do you all recommend a certain brand, I live in the country and we do a lot of back road riding to get to the highways.

Thanks

Big Havk

Good question, found this on the web after a look >

First the basics; there are two types of tire construction: bias-ply and radial. A safe generalization is that most cruisers use bias ply tires, and sportbikes use radials. (Spoke wheels require a tube to maintain tire pressure, while cast wheels allow for a tubeless tire). A bias-ply tire has a round profile, and tall sidewalls. A radial tire has a flatter profile, and shorter sidewalls.

In a bias-ply tire, the carcass (the material beneath the tires tread) is made up of overlapping layers of nylon or rayon cords. Each of the several layers stretch across the tire at opposite angles forming an X pattern, hence the term "bias." Some tires add another layer on top of the plies, called belts, and those run in the direction of the tire rotation. As a tire rotates, the small portion of the tire that meets the pavement, the "contact patch," flattens out for a split second. So as the tire rotates, it is constantly flattening out, and rebounding into shape. That constant flexing action generates heat, which is good for grip. But too much heat is the enemy, as it decreases performance and accelerates tire wear.

A radial tire has its plies running "radially" at a 90ø angle to the direction of the rotation. This design reduces heat generation, so the tires run cooler. The downside is that the sidewalls flex easier, so they are given a shorter profile. The lower profile means that they can't handle heavier loads that a large heavy cruiser, with a passenger and baggage, requires. A cruiser's suspension design and cornering needs are better suited to bias ply tires, so always check to make sure a tire is approved for your particular bike before buying.

More reading here >http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=442&Page=1

Hope this answers your question, it did mine.

Also watch what the code is for age of tire. It has been discussed in other forums here, it will have 4 numbers first two are week second two are year of manufacture. Don't take an old tire even if it looks new.

Bryan

As far as I know, there is not a Radial type, that will fit this bike. ( I might be wrong )

Avon Venoms, Dunlop E-3, Michilean Commander, or Continental tires, Are what most folks reccomend.

Metzlers, have been chunking out. Many reports of that over the last few years, and two more just last month. I think one guy reported a blow out, with only about 1K on a new Metzler.

Dunlop D-404's most reports, only about 8,000 miles of service to the wear bars.

I just checked Conti Web site: That looks like their highest quality tire , highest priced line that fits these bikes.

I used a TK-17 on my 89 1st Gen, it ran 13K and was still good for about 3k more. No problems. I also used Conti's on my 79 Bemer years ago. Always had good luck with them. Have not heard anything bad about Conti tires.

Not to many reports about Conti tires on this web site.

As far as I know, there is not a Radial type, that will fit this bike. ( I might be wrong )

Avon Venoms, Dunlop E-3, Michilean Commander, or Continental tires, Are what most folks reccomend.

Here I always thought that the Avon Venoms and the Metzlers were radials...

Just a bit of correction. SWMOTO does not offer us discounts. They have been great to us and their contribution has been that on more than one occasion, they have donated tires for some of our project bikes. They already have some of the best prices available even without a discount.