IGNORED

RSTD backrest/luggage rack on RSMV

8041.1 I have removed the trunk on my 03 RSMV. Now I want to put a backrest/luggage rack on for trips. I know, why didn't I just leave the trunk on. Well, I'm 5'7" and 145# and have put 57K miles on this beast mostly 2 up. The wife has her own now, and since she doesn't ride with me I decided to see what it felt like without the added "top" weight. Totally changed the way it handles. Love it even more. Now to the real question. Will the removable backrest and luggage rack for the newer RSTD's bolt right up on the 03 RSV? There are several holes in the fender strut and some of them were not used with the trunk rack. I'm thinking the RSTD fender/strut is probably the same as the RSV. Can anyone confirm this before I go out and blow a bunch of money on a part that won't fit?

I think it will too, but the Yamaha dealer I have talked to wouldn't commit that it would. So, if I order it and it doesn't fit, I'm pretty much SOL. I couldn't have pulled the trunk either until the "boss" got her own and doesn't ride with me now. I really like the look and the feel so much better. That extra weight up that high really makes a difference.

The radio controls wil unscrew from the trunk, 3 or 4 screws if I remember. The speakers just unplug and the wires from the speakers and the passenger controls can be folded, taped up and stored under the frame from the trunk. When I did it I had a piece of alluminum plate built with 4 holes drilled to fit the existing holes on the trunk frame. Viola, instant lugage rack. And with the trunk gone you will notice the difference in handling because that thing is heavy.

Uhhh...won't it look like an RSTD? :whistling: Well...with a RSV front fairing. :)

There's a picture of one over at Yamaha where they have pictures of owner's rides.

``````````````````````````````

Canuk, doing what you described, will I lose the radio function?

Sorry guys I didn,t take any pictures when I had the trunk off and now it is back on for the boss to ride on the back. I only took it off for a one time trip to Deadwood this summer so I could haul a bag that held more than the trunk. Actually met Dragonslayer Bob at a gas station down by Spearfish on that trip. Anyway the only radio function you will lose is the rear speakers, the rest still work. If I can talk the boss into getting a bike for herself I,m going to leave the trunk off as I think the bike looks good without. Kinda like a cruiser with cruise and a fairing.

Ok it looks like the quik detach backrest from the RSTD will fit on the RSV. But does any one know if it will also fit if the frame from the trunk with the antenas and CB controls can be left on. That frame with an aluminum plate on it makes one heck of a luggage rack.

I dont think that will work. I looked at mine before I took it off and seems like it would be in the way or it would use soem of the holes that the backrest uses. Not sure though. Someone else can probably confirm better than me.