IGNORED

Computer Guru Needed

My wireless connection drops out 3 or 4 times a day. If I leave it alone for 5 minutes it will come back. Most of the time I just right click on repair connection and this fixes it. Once or twice a week the only way to get it back is reboot the router. My signal strength is excellent.Sometimes it will drop within minutes of being repaired.

Another problem both my Dvd-Rom drive and my Dvd+RW/ Cd +RW drive have all but quit working. What I mean is they use to work on every dvd or cd I put in. Now they are very limited which ones work. Almost like limited to a certain file type. Drivers are good and drives clean. Any suggestions? This is a Sony Viao machine about 3 or 4 years old.

My wireless connection drops out 3 or 4 times a day. If I leave it alone for 5 minutes it will come back. Most of the time I just right click on repair connection and this fixes it. Once or twice a week the only way to get it back is reboot the router. My signal strength is excellent.Sometimes it will drop within minutes of being repaired.

What kind of router do you have?

Another problem both my Dvd-Rom drive and my Dvd+RW/ Cd +RW drive have all but quit working. What I mean is they use to work on every dvd or cd I put in. Now they are very limited which ones work. Almost like limited to a certain file type. Drivers are good and drives clean. Any suggestions? This is a Sony Viao machine about 3 or 4 years old.

Get a Mac. ;-) :rotfl::rotf::backinmyday:

First thing to try is to plug hard wire directly from the cable/dsl modem to the computer and work for 30 minutes to see if you have the problem. If everything is ok there, it's a very good chance it's the router. I just had a cable modem go out and it was doing the same thing. I've also had a router go out and it will also act the same way so make sure to rule out the connection then look into the router.

Ditto on the router. Call your service provider, explain the problems to tech support, and see what they say. They'll look inside the magic box and then tell you to replace the router. If you're lucky, and bought the router from them, they'll send you a new one, ready to plug n play. If not so lucky, ask them which model they suggest; they'll probably offer to sell you one they can support for the same price you can buy it online.

At least, that's what my service provider did. And it worked; no more problems.

Until the new router crapped out after a series of lightning storms. Then they replaced it, free.

Most wireless routers use the same frequency range as 2.4GHz wireless phones (wireless land-line phones, not cell phones). They are supposed to share nicely together, but I have seen wireless routers drop signal the moment a nearby 2.4GHz phone rings. Check the phones in your house. If you live in an apartment or condo or other close quarters with other people, it's even possible that your neighbor's phone can cause a problem, but only if their phone is very close to your wireless router.

Ditto on the cordless phones.... two choices:

(1) Set the channel of your wireless router to either 1 or 11 (either end of the available choices), as they are farthest away from the channel that cordless phones use (identical to channel 6 on your router, which is also the likely default channel).

-or-

(2) Get a 6.0 DECT cordless phone. The frequency is significantly different from that of the wireless router and should not interfere. This solution assumes that it's your cordless phone causing the problem. If you're in an apartment building, you might be limited to the first option.

Good luck!

As far as your wireless connection I have listed below some of the problems it could be:

Is it DSL or cable? If DSL it sounds like interferance from cordless telephone or the frequency they have you on.Ask the phone company to change frequecy and make sure if you have cordless phones make sure they have a filter on them.

It could be the router