IGNORED

Clutch Questions for 1985 Venture

JOE MCDERMOTT

My 1985 Venture Royale has slipping clutch in 4th and 5th gears.

Was going to repalce with Barnett SR 2 Pressure plate and clutches.

Was told this does not fit 1985 ..

So what have others done to correct slipping clutch

on 1985...

How good are EBC clutches and springs..

Thank You Joe in NJ

I bought it with 18,000 2 yrs ago and bike has 22,000

on it now..

Hmmm?? With that few miles on it, does it slip in 4th and 5th right from the git-go, or does it take a while before it starts?? Have you bled the clutch lately? Also when you last changed your engine oil what type did you use?

I agree also, does your clutch lever seem to have enough freeplay before it engages?

I would be surprised if it started slipping that early. And now for the big question; are you absolutely sure the bike did not have 118,000 miles on it? Two years ago it was 20 years old with 18,000 miles on it, that's less than 1,000 miles per year. I have put 83,000 miles on my 83 in the last eleven years. I am not a big time rider like some on here, but at my rate of miles, I will have over 150,000 miles, in that time.

RandyA

I agree also, does your clutch lever seem to have enough freeplay before it engages?

I would be surprised if it started slipping that early. And now for the big question; are you absolutely sure the bike did not have 118,000 miles on it?

And I agree with Randy........... :whistling:

I bought it from orginal owner and know him and it only'had

18,000 on bike...

Other than being left out in weather for last 5 yrs of its life

under a tarp..

I found that out with all the carb problems and brake problems

I had to deal with..

Thank you for your response and I now know that I put Mobil 1

car oil in it..

So fell this may be my problem with clutch..

Just drained and will put miles on it and drain it again and

see if this helps..

If not will change clutches in a month..

Thanks again..

My clutch on my 83 has slipped from 7,000miles (3 years ago). Springs soften with age regardless of use.

I want to put new springs in it but it only slips when i get on it hard. It has 22,000 now and it isn't getting worse. The bike will probably be retired soon anyways.

You can probably fix this for about $10. I bought a set of springs for mine that were about 20% stronger. That pretty much fixed mine, but later on I did change the plates because I started towing a 450 pound camper with it. You may even be able to take the cover off and not loose the gasket.

RandyA

have over 137000,on the O E M,the new fib were thinner than the old ones,so rough sanded the plates,finish sanded with 350 greet,new V_MAX spring,still old fib,did all this at about 90000 mls,still going pretty strong,anzoil,was causing it to slip a little here lattly,changed to moble 1,now only slippes when cold,had mine open four times still same gasket,still no glue on it

:080402gudl_prv:

You can probably fix this for about $10. I bought a set of springs for mine that were about 20% stronger. That pretty much fixed mine, but later on I did change the plates because I started towing a 450 pound camper with it. You may even be able to take the cover off and not loose the gasket.

RandyA

Where did you get the springs?

I have a fantasy which involves dropping a nitrous bottle in each saddlebag and going on "Pinks" before I retire the bike.

We have a local independent bike shop that works on anything. If fact, a year or so ago, I was out there and he had five 1st gen Ventures in the holding area to be worked on at one time. Interestingly, I left a note on every one with my cell and e-mail address and did not get one response. Maybe the mechanics took them off.

Anyway, I think he charged me about $8 for the set. They definitely were stronger and the lever is stiffer. He just ordered them out of a catalog he had.

RandyA

We have a local independent bike shop that works on anything. If fact, a year or so ago, I was out there and he had five 1st gen Ventures in the holding area to be worked on at one time. Interestingly, I left a note on every one with my cell and e-mail address and did not get one response. Maybe the mechanics took them off.

Anyway, I think he charged me about $8 for the set. They definitely were stronger and the lever is stiffer. He just ordered them out of a catalog he had.

RandyA

Can you provide a name for the shop and a phone number?