IGNORED

" Visco-Elastic-Polymer " Padding

GeorgeS

OK, who knows all about Visco Elastic Polymer, Padding material. ????

I found its being used for Race Car Seats, supposed to be comfortable !!

Anybody know the details on the this stuff ?? From what I have been able to find

it came on the market about 3 years ago. Supposed to be the Cats Meow, for comfortable seating ??

:scratchchin:

Anybody know the details on the this stuff ?? From what I have been able to find

it came on the market about 3 years ago. Supposed to be the Cats Meow, for comfortable seating ??

I used to work for these guys back in another lifetime... Anyway they have a branch right in Seattle. KEYSTON BROS They might be able to supply you with some leads.

Thanks Jack, I checked the site, looks like they dont sell on line. Guess will have to stop bye the place.[/qoute]

They may just wholesale, but maybe they can run it though a local shop. Tell 'm you have a freind that left five grand in their profit sharing account when he left, and perhaps can run it under an employee sale... :) That's the way the manager of the local branch used to handle anything I needed....

Hey, George - I see they have a place in SF - I don't get over to the city often, but possibly if you don't get anywhere, I could check it out the next time I'm over there.

Thanks, well I just started researching this today. I figured there must be a secret to these companies that re - do you seat to make it comfi !!. I did find one source, but they want about $60 for a 14in X 14 in , 5/8 thick piece of the stuff !!

And at this point I'm not sure if its the real thing. But if its what being used in Race Car cockpit seats, it must be. They said, race drivers that still have un healed injuries use the stuff, so they can keep raceing. Anyway an interesting concept.

I'm getting the impression from searching on line that the stuff is supposed to be a big secret. I did find mention thats its only been avialable for 3 or 4 years. ??

Well whatever you can find. If the stuff is as good as info I found today, it should be great for re - doing M/C Seats !!

I also found some Pads, for Wheel Chairs. Those folks have the same problems with seat padding as we do on the Bike. ( ie maby even worse ) But not sure it its the right stuff.

Anyway, sombody here should know something about it.

Isn't that "NASA memory foam" like in those mattresses? If it is, I had a pillow made with it one time.....stuff makes me hot, even with pillow cases and all. Just thinking out loud!

$0.02...

Oterwise known as "memory foam". Check out Rick Butler's ad in the classified for seat modification. We have a memory foam mattress pad on our bed, it's comfy but it does retain heat. I'm having Rick redo my seats this week, when I get them back i can let you know how they are.

Is this stuff kina like Sorbothane®

OK, on your link, brought up their home page, and clicked on, " Material Properties "

http://www.sorbothane.com/PDF/sor_matprop.pdf

http://www.sorbothane.com/PDF/sor_faq.pdf

Very detailed info on the stuff. and they do call it visco elastic polymer !!!

Thanks!!!!!!!! so I guess thats it. Info on that link is very interesting.

Only question now, is , am I on the right track, and how much does it cost.

And how to get some of the stuff.

Also, have to find out if it comes with different stiffness levels.

Found some info, that the secret to a " Comfi Seat, " is Varying levels of stiffness in the padding material.

As to the Bedding, and pillows, yes, that might be it, I have a pillow made from the stuff but its to soft for a seat. So the stuff must come in varying stiffness levels.

Search, continues for more info::hihi:

Only question now, is , am I on the right track, and how much does it cost.

And how to get some of the stuff.

I have seen sheets of Soborthane for sale in industrial supply catalogs like MSC or Granger, both of which are online.

Soborthane has been on the market for YEARS!!!!!!!!

I had insoles of it for my boondockers when I was in the US Navy walking on steel or aluminum decks. Truly a knee saver!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think it would make a good bedding product, but it shines in distributing shock loads and dampening vibration. I have used sheets of it under machines.

I have seen sheets of Soborthane for sale in industrial supply catalogs like MSC or Granger, both of which are online.

Soborthane has been on the market for YEARS!!!!!!!!

I had insoles of it for my boondockers when I was in the US Navy walking on steel or aluminum decks. Truly a knee saver!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think it would make a good bedding product, but it shines in distributing shock loads and dampening vibration. I have used sheets of it under machines.

Thanks for the Info, that helps, hope I'm on the right track here.

I assume you are going to use it in your bikes seat.

If so, you might e mail the good people at Sorbithane for recomdations...and then pass on your findings here.

YUP, Thats the idea. I have 2 seats for the Busa, and they are both BAD !!!

Squid, you know entirely too much. How's the wind?

:smile5:

I have bean called a font of worthless information....

The wind is fine.

I attended the American Kiteflyers Association Grand National Convention with 320 of my kite flying family in Gettysburg PA. over the last week in September.... NICE time!!!!

• 4 months later...
So, did you do a mod?

what did you find out??

Found it, from " Comfort Max Gel Pad "

http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/gelpad.htm

After finding the cost of the raw material, I decided that just buying the pad from this supplier, was the most cost, and time effective.

I ordered the size, " Large " which was the best fit for the two bikes, different size seats. Works for both.

I installed it last week, and have made two 50 mile rides with it on the Venture, and so far seems comffy. But of course, the acid test will be a 10 hour day on

I-5.

Check this thread for a bit more info, and photo's

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31569

Few other folks, posted some comments as to this product there also --