IGNORED

LED Accent Lights

Just curious; has anyone installed LED accent lights on your lst Edition VR? If so, how many and the color did you add? Also where did you add the accent lights and are they connected directly to the battery or???? I am considering such an install but ask for opinions and advise, if there are any. The bike is pretty close to being in original condition and thought this accessory might add style and or improve visibility.

B/r

Hey Guns,

I'm in the middle of experementing with a few led lighting ideas. For starters check out http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27752

Beyond the basics mentioned there, go nutz! Personaly I'm going with a kit, I'm using a couple of pods, maybe 4 neon tubes and the rest I'm doing in presolderd single ultrabrights. I found some really good sources for materials, pm me if you want them.

When considering placement, just keep in mind that the leds need to be aimed at something shiney. the more reflective the better.

Pain

With Masterguns bike, shiney spots aren't a problem! He has almost every Ventureline original accessory on the bike. Very nice and very clean bike. Herb, with the rotor covers and caliper covers I would think something aimed from the fender area down would look nice on the front. Then maybe super brights under the rear bags and the engine. It would give the effect of floating in a pool of light. The other neat effect is to go against the windscreen at the base and aim a couple into the edge of the plastic. It lights up the perimeter of the windscreen in a kind of ghost glow.

JB

With Masterguns bike, shiney spots aren't a problem! He has almost every Ventureline original accessory on the bike. Very nice and very clean bike. Herb, with the rotor covers and caliper covers I would think something aimed from the fender area down would look nice on the front. Then maybe super brights under the rear bags and the engine. It would give the effect of floating in a pool of light. The other neat effect is to go against the windscreen at the base and aim a couple into the edge of the plastic. It lights up the perimeter of the windscreen in a kind of ghost glow.

WOW!! I totaly agree, I posted my first comment before I looked a a pic of his Bike (drooool). There is a space below the reflectors on that front fender trim that is perfect for a couple of pods. They light up my front wheel nicely, with his chrome covers, it would look ten times better. Fine I admidt it, I'm jelous lol.

For under the side bags, I would recomend something a little brighter. I havent permantly installed them yet, but I placed a pair of 12" neon tubes under each side. I really liked the way it looked. Tonighit I'm going to tape some tinfoil in the same spot and try them again. I think a reflective surface behind the tubes will make it even better.

Pain:7_6_3[1]:

I dug into the LED light category when i had my 1998 Virago xv1100. I finally opted for a kit from a guy on eBay. His user name is joe-florida. There were three different colors in each bulb and a remote control. You could change the lights in that way that you could have them blue, red or green. But then you could also mix the colors so one had actually six different colors to choose from. I sold the bike but know the guy who owns it and the lights are still working perfectly. I think it is the best kit I have seen so far. It is also intersting that Joe offers to make a custom kit for his clients where you can choose the color combinations, length between bulbs and so forth. Really think you should check him out. Just go to eBay and search for "items by seller" joe-florida. Here is a link to one of his ongoing auctions:

[/url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/60-LED-20-PODs-RED-WHITE-BLUE-Change-Color-Accent-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a3Q7c240Q3a1307QQ_trksidZp3911Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem400000540719QQitemZ400000540719

The kit you see on this auction has three bulbs with different colors on the end of each wire. I remember that mine had three colors somehow integrated in one bulb. Don´t know if that is better but I am sure that Joe could tell you. He answers the questions sent to him and stands behind his product.

Please note that I do not know the guy personally in any way nor any business relationship with him. Simply think that he has a great product and he answered my emails after the sale promptly and was very helpful and informative regarding positioning the lights on the frame.

I am definately going to get a kit from him for my 1998 Royal Star for winter project.

How funny, Herb!

I ordered 2 light kits from ebay for 50 just last week! 4 strips and 6 pods. After my light install tonight, I'll wait for those to get here and put those in. I will make sure and post pics when I do them. I'm planning on the strips under the back bags and center of bike (haven't figured out where yet on the middle of the bike thats not too hot with exhaust pipes). Also under the trunk, front forks, front wheel, winshield. That should about do it.

I WOULD like info, if any one has it, on buying individual LED lights and wiring them up (what to buy and instructions)... I can hook up pos and neg, but I have read you can't just shoot 12v into an LED. It needs a resistor or something.. That would be super helpful. (Saw a pic of a new goldwing with blue and red led lights and it was AMAZING).

• 6 months later...

I just got my joe-florida kit. He's 100 times cheaper than anyone elses. I could not believe what the guys at sturgis were getting for their kits.

In michigan you can only run with yellow or orange without getting a ticket. So that is what I got, fits with my orange gold paint job :) I'm goingto try the windshield trick, that sounds like a really neat idea.

Led accent lights dont need any of that, they point at the engine parts, and other places you want to make look "neat-o"

as for brakes and flashers, I am working on a solution that will not need the load resistors. I can do it in a car all day long, the 1st gens decided to be "smart" and you have to override all that smart to upgrade to current technology.

Well since you ask,

I have found that 5mm dia leds fit neatly in the gaps of the intake grill matrix under the headlight. By my count, I could get almost 40 leds in there.

I have given up on the dash ventilation system, and am also blocking in the dash vents for extra dash real estate for switches, MP3 / gps holders etc. What was Yama thinking when they came up with that vent system anyways?

My blue bike has 2 blue leds, 1 in each end of the grill, just cause it pleases me. For the red bike, I am planning to put as many white high intensity 5mm leds as possible into the intake grill and light them up as one unit.

I don't know if it will improve my illumination, visibility, look cool or what but WTF ?

All I need is some time to get down to it. Anyone got some spare time I could borrow ?

Hope this is of interest.

Brian H.