IGNORED

Yamaha Valve/Cam Tappet

I'm just settling in to do a valve adjustment on my 2Gen RSV and was looking through Clymer's (for the part number to the Valve Cover Gasket) when I noticed that the picture shows a pretty tight space to get on the CAM to turn it. The books call for a Yamaha Valve tappet. Now on my cars, I've always just used channellocks. Since I'm ordering the gasket now, I can probably add the tool to the order if necessary. Any opinions as to the necessity of this tool?

Daniel, at one point, there was a thread , here, concerning people who had specialty tools, and different sized "shims", for the valve train".

i think it was a "pass around, replace parts" type of deal, but off the top of my head, i can't remember WHO owns the tool, or WHERE it might be.

i am sure someone, who don't have "sometimer's" will jump in here and help you out, shortly!

just jt

And you don't use channel locks to turn the cam........ you have to open the left front case cover and turn the crankshaft..... I had the shim kit till Maintenance Day at Dons. Then I turned it over to....?????????? He rides a 2nd gen, I think lives in Pa or NY. Maybe Buddy Rich knows, I'll PM him.

Dan

And just to make sure, you will need two Gaskets for the Valve Covers. And i for one, i would replace all the 16 Rubbers off the Bolts off the Valve Covers. At least the inside 8 Rubbers. Getting to the Covers is a major Part of the Job, i sure wouldn't want to go there twice, just because of being too cheap on the wrong Place.