IGNORED

Need help identify some noise

Guest ReinyRooster

Guest ReinyRooster

I have an '87 VR. The last few weeks I have started getting what I would describe as an exhaust noise getter progressive louder....it has now stopped getting louder but is still there...it's not REAL louder but definitely louder then it should be. When sitting on the bike it sounds like it's coming from the left front area.

Inspected the bike today...no obvious holes or leaks in the exhaust. When I'm off the bike the noise sounds like it's coming from the right side......found the clamp holding the rear muffler section to the front pipe was loose and missing the bolt. Took that apart and cleaned everything, put in a new bolt and snugged everything up......didn't solve the problem at all.

Could it be a carb diaphragm causing that sort of noise? I am starting a home renovation project in the next week so I don't want to get into too much on the bike right now....was thinking more of a winter project.

Any ideas?

I would say its coming from the exhaust colector,The little box under the bike where all the pipes come together,mine was rotted out bad and had to get a good used one,once i took off mine and it just fell apart, i see them on ebay sometimes.A new one runs around $375 to $400 from the dealer.:080402gudl_prv:

Like Darrin mentioned, the collector could be a culprit, but I would also look at the exhaust pipes where they connect into the heads. There are copper crush rings between the heads and the ends of the pipes. Perhaps one of your pipes is loose and leaking there

:confused24:

Guest ReinyRooster

I visually examined the collector box and tapped a screwdriver handle on it in various places and it seemed solid. I also examined where the pipes attach to the heads and they weren't loose - guess that's not to say the ring(s) might not be leaking.

Well thanks for the input guys.....something to add to the list of winter projects for the "old girl"......fix some plastic....clean up the sidestand switch.....

The best way to figure out where it is coming from is to take a rubber hose. Stick one end to your ear and move the other end around the motorcycle until you find where it is the loudest. I've done this several times on vehicles so maybe it will work on a motorcycle too.