IGNORED

Mattcharva's 83VR project bike is coming together

Dragonslayer

Like the little dog said when the train ran over it's tail:

It won't be long now!

The project that Matt and I have been working on is coming together after it had been sitting idle collecting dirt dabber's nest and pine straw for the past eight years.

Problem started when he lost the seal on anti dive valve and lost fork oil in front shocks. He let a buddy work on who let it fall over in his shop which broke the stator cover where the shifter rod penetrats it taking the shifter linkage out. So then it sat in the drive-way, out in the rain, full of bad gas, for eight years. Like I said collecting dirt dabbers and pine straw.

We managed to get it pushed up onto a trailer to get it hauled over to my house where it has been for the past few months in various states of disassembly.

Matt and his wife Charlotte have been very patient with me while I took a month off to Sturgis and to ride around in the wild west on my latest adventure. So when I got back it was time to buckle down and get back to work.

So....

We drained the fluids

removed the side covers and had them dipped and polished

Went through the electrical system cleaning and checking electrical contacts

removed and rebuilt the carbs

changed out the fuel filter

fixed the anti dive valve

replaced the fork oil

replaced the clutch perch and slave cylinder

Bleed the clutch system and recharged

replaced the covers

new oil filter and oil

new brake fluid

cleaned and repaired all the plastic body parts

Synched the carbs

In the morning we are going to rebuild rear brake caliper and as soon as we get the brakes right put the plastic back on. I expect that we will be riding tomorrow. :7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]:

Before and after pictures to follow tomorrow.

I quess next project will be to find a job. I've about milked this last motorcycle adventure vacation which has lasted six years.

Just hope I can find a motorcycle job,

Whew!!! I got tired just reading you post Bob....:draming:

Doncha just love it when things start coming together........ :thumbsup2:

Sorry Condor,

I wasn't rying to put anyone to sleep so I'll keep update brief.

Got the rear brakes working, got the body parts put back on. Matt rode off into the sunset.

Now my bikes down with starter problem.

Maybe in the future I'll just post pictures and ya'll can guess at the story.

Hope, The update for the AADDS works better.

I was down at Bob's before he went to Sturgis to pick up a couple of parts he just happen to have and he showed me this bike he is refurbishing. I didn't even realize it was the same year as my bike. It looked rough. But, I'm sure it will be looking good in short order. Please post the final results so we can all see.

Ronnie

Sorry Condor,

I wasn't rying to put anyone to sleep so I'll keep update brief.

Maybe in the future I'll just post pictures and ya'll can guess at the story.

Hope, The update for the AADDS works better.

Bob, I didn't mean that the length of your eloquent prose wore me out, it was strictly the subject matter...... The mental picture of all the work you performed was overwhelming.... :) It plumb tuckered me out....:scorched:

Bob, I didn't mean that the length of your eloquent prose wore me out, it was strictly the subject matter...... The mental picture of all the work you performed was overwhelming.... :) It plumb tuckered me out....:scorched:
Condor,

I'm sorry if I mistook your comment and please forgive me if my retort was rude or inappropiate in any way. I apoligize and hope that you will forgive me. It's just that as a writer I can be overly sensitive when someone acts put out to hear a story I want to tell or only wants the hear sound bites or just the punch line. Sound bites don't tell the whole story they only tell bits and pieces of the story.

The whole story is:

Yes, it was a lot of work but I felt that was what I needed to do for a friend and fellow Venture owner (now rider). You and others on this site have given me so much in knowledge and advice that it was nice to share that info and pass it on by helping someone get thier scout on the road. The friendship and bonding that happened as a result of the experience is worth much more than all the work expended. Getting Matt back on the road made me proud as well as what Matt and I both learned from the experience. Introducing Matt to Ventureriders.org was an added perk and as he becomes involved I know that all will benefit from his participation. He and his wife are super people..