IGNORED

Taller windshields for RSTD

Hi All...newbie here.

Just purchased an '05 RSTD and, for the most part, I love it. However, I'm just a shade under six feet and I'm getting buffeted pretty bad from wind. Are there taller windshields available for the RSTD?

P.S. Yes...I did use the search function, but did not find a satisfactory answer.

Thanks in advance!

Fortygeek ;)

Hi Fortygeek,

Yes there are taller windshields. I just purchased a 05 Venture my self from New York about 2 months ago. It has a "tall" windshield on it. I am 6' 6" and I look through it. This is a new experience for me as all the other bikes I have had were windshield less or just tall enough to block the wind from my chest. I am still trying to figure out if I want one this tall or not?

On most "motorcycle" sites that sell parts even "Yamaha's" site under windshields have what you are looking for.

And to remove and install the shield here is a good link to tell you what you need to do > http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002004&id=179

Hope this helps you and have a GREAT ride!

Bryan

I think Clearview also makes a shield for the RSTD. I'm not 100% sure but if they do, they are a popular shield for the RSV riders. Here is a link.

http://www.clearviewshields.com/

I'm presently testing a new shield from http://www.f4customs.com which so far, I'm pretty impressed with. I know though that they don't presently make one for the RSTD because I asked them.

There are two other ways to reduce the buffetting on the RSTD. One is to buy a mustang seat. That will move you closer to the tank. If that works for you it is a good solution. The other way is to put the aircraft style vents in the windshield. The flow through the vents reduces the turbulence over the top of the windshield. I've done both of these things and the turbulence is not really an issue anymore. None of these will work well enough if you are driving into a cross wind, but they do help a bit. For the cross wind, the only solution I've found is to slow down to about 60-65.

Let us know how you like a taller windscreen if you decide to go that route. I've been thinking about that tall clearview myself.

I bought the stock height Clearview with the "recurve" last year. I'm 5'8" and looking thru that "recurve" (distored) gave me a headache. I cut 4½" off of the bottom and now life is good. BTW, with this set up, the top of the shield is 17" above the gas cap. If you want to look thru the shield, you can get the Clearview without the "recurve". The Clearview is also 4" wider than stock and includes wider lower vents.