IGNORED

install sirius satellite

hi

excuse my english

i want install sirius radio on my venture 2005 and more people

on this forum said i install 6 volt supply why 6 volt ?i d'ont understand sirius is 12 volt?

and i want to know if i can plug directly my radio in the plud of lighter on the fairing.

And the antenna where you put on the bik,e not inside the fairing

thanq you for your answer and excuse my english not good

bucheron

Some units only require a 5 or 6 volt power supply. The delphi Roady is one that requires less voltage. The cigarette lighter style plug is designed to reduce the voltage to the unit.

Have you checked the specifications to your sirius?

Bucheron,

I think that as Mariner Fan says, the confusion is coming from the fact that the adapter plugs right into a 12 volt receptacle. That does not mean that the unit is actually 12 volts. If you look at the small print on the radio, it will actually tell you what the voltage is. The voltage reducer is built into the plug at the end of the cable. The only time any sort of adapter is needed is when people cut the end off the cable in order to wire it in direct and not use the 12 volt plug.

A lot of people cut the end off and wire it in direct to a 13 volt source inside the fairing, in that case, you need some sort of adapter to reduce the voltage back down. The way that I did it, which is very easy, is that I just went to Walmart and bought a 12 volt extension cable that has a plug on one end and receptacle on the other. I cut the plug off and wired that end right into the 12 volt source. I then just plugged the standard plug that came with the Sirius into the new receptacle inside the fairing. Cheaper than buying the power adapter that does the same thing.

The way that I did it, which is very easy, is that I just went to Walmart and bought a 12 volt extension cable that has a plug on one end and receptacle on the other. I cut the plug off and wired that end right into the 12 volt source. I then just plugged the standard plug that came with the Sirius into the new receptacle inside the fairing. Cheaper than buying the power adapter that does the same thing.

That particular piece came with my XM radio. I zap-strapped mine to the mounting bracket just under the radio. Makes it easy to unplug and move the unit to another vehicle.

Be careful! Some sirius units are 12V and some are 5v. If you use the plug in and and install a lighter adapter in the fairing you can use ditect 12 v. DONT CUT OFF THE END! The other solution is to buy the proper direct wiring unit that will allow for 5v or 12v to install inside the fairing. Only the proper cable will plug into your unit. Applying 12v directily to a 5 v unit will damage it.

This is what I use on my bike and Truck.

http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-vehicle-power-hardwire-kit-p-4438.html