Need some help. I have a 07 venture that leaks gas out of a tube that is on the left side by the kickstand. It does not do it all the time ,but when it does it leaves about a quarter size mark. I have had the floats change at the dealership, but it still does it. They told me that might just be a characteristic of the bike. What do you guys think

Any suggestions or comment would be gratefull

Need some help. I have a 07 venture that leaks gas out of a tube that is on the left side by the kickstand. It does not do it all the time ,but when it does it leaves about a quarter size mark. I have had the floats change at the dealership, but it still does it. They told me that might just be a characteristic of the bike. What do you guys think

I have the same, bike with the same problem, mine has leaked for over 25,000 miles. I now have 36,000 on my 07. I'm told its a seal, that will always leak.

I don't worry about it

There are four hoses back there: coolant overflow, air plenum vents (x2), and the tank vent. Obviously, the tank vent is the only one that could have gas in it. You may be getting a little dripping from that if you ever overfill the tank before parking or park in the sun a lot (if it is way full and you park in the sun, you will git a LOT of dripping there!). That hose has a rollover valve in it, so maybe that can be collecting some of the fumes and causing a couple of drips occasionally.

Whoever said it is a "seal" should have their lips sewn together so they can't keep saying things about which they have no clue.

Many of us have smelled gas from our bikes occasionally after parking in the garage, but besides the tank vent hose, there are two carb overflow hoses that could also cause that. Since I park my bike on a rug, I have no idea if mine has ever dripped gas.

Goose

I agree with Goose's input. If you overfill the tank and park under the sun, the tank will build a little pressure, as a result, gas may drip down the tank vent hose. I realized this phenomenon on my Vulcan and I really thought that I was leaking fuel.

Thanks for the information. I will try to pay attention when this happens to see if thats whats causing it.

The reason i questioned it was i had this happing last sept when i bought the bike and the dealership told me to watch and if it got worse they would look at it. I had it a couple more times before winter but it was not getting worse so i stored the bike and this spring it started again and one day i had a big puddle. So i took it to the dealer and i was told it was from me storing improperly. cost me 100.00 to fix what they said was the floats.

So i just wanted to know what you guys thought

Thanks Again

Sounds to me like you may need to avoid that dealer. IF you took it in for gas under the REAR of the bike, and they charged you for work on the floats, they they just deliberately and flagrantly stole your money. Even a stupid and incompetent mechanic would have known the carb overflow hoses run to the front, by the air filters. There is NO way they could have adjusted the floats without disconnecting those vent hoses!

Now, if you only complained about the smell of gas, instead of a gas puddle under the rear of the engine, then what they did was reasonable.

Goose

Oh, one other comment - a REAL float adjustment would have cost you several hundred dollars, not just $100, so they didn't even do that - they just ripped you off.

Thanks Goose,

I just might have to look for another dealer,never complained about smell.

Also since they did the work i went from 40-45mpg to 35-38mpg and they could not explain to me why that happened other than stating that most get in that 35-38mpg range that they know of

Thanks again

Goose

Please tell us that at least the rug is in the garage; not your livingroom!:scared:

What is wrong with parking in the living room? When I was up in the north, when it came time for winter storage mine would get parked in the living room... Just like my parents did with theirs (when I was growing up -- I assume they still do) and actually my mom's parents did the same with theirs.

Now I do not have that problem... The longest I have gone without riding in the 'winter' has been about 1 week (it took that long for the ice to not be around in the morning).

Thanks for the information. I will try to pay attention when this happens to see if thats whats causing it.

The reason i questioned it was i had this happing last sept when i bought the bike and the dealership told me to watch and if it got worse they would look at it. I had it a couple more times before winter but it was not getting worse so i stored the bike and this spring it started again and one day i had a big puddle. So i took it to the dealer and i was told it was from me storing improperly. cost me 100.00 to fix what they said was the floats.

So i just wanted to know what you guys thought

Thanks Again

$100.00 dollars to fix a fuel leak or fuel smell? It does not really sound kosher to me...I've put in over 6K miles and I will try my best to stay away from a dealer as much as possible. As far as your fuel mileage is concerned, as you already know, it has a direct effect on your style of riding (right hand twist). When I hit 8K miles, I am looking forward to replacing my plugs and see what my fuel mileage would look like. Right now I am averaging 40 mpg. with mostly interstate rides with speed around 70 mph (73-75 on my odometer).