IGNORED

HD muffler V-Twin clamp question

So I will be installing RK mufflers on my RSV this weekend. Got Brad's brackets (Thanks Brad, by the way, they look great) and got the wide V-Twin muffler clamps.

The inside of the clamps have a ridge at one end on the ID side. 3/4 of the ID is one size and 1/4 of the ID is a little smaller. How do I install the clamps with this smaller I/D on one end of the contact surface. Do I put the smaller ID onto the pipe and the larger ID onto the slotted end of the muffler (but clamp might not tighten all the way on the mufller side), or do I install the smaller ID onto the slotted muffler end ?:think:

Did you guys use any high temp silicone to seal everything up ?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Long live this forum ! :happy34:

Phil,

The smaller inside diameter is going to go onto the header of the bike, make sure you clean the corrosion off with some emory cloth. The mufflers might have to be stretched a bit and pursuaded to go all the way on. I also open up the clamp a bit and install it on the muffler before you try to put it on the header.

It can be challenging, but it will fit and wont leak, I have done many of them and once you have done it, it's a breeze to help someone else. Give a call and I can walk you through it.

Thanks Brad,

I think I got it. Just like dirtbike muffler clamps, the smaller ID goes onto pipe/header and larger ID goes onto muffler because OD of muffler is slightly larger than OD of pipe/header.

Thanks for the hint of sliding clamp onto muffler first.

Cheers

Phil:clap2:

Thanks Brad,

I think I got it. Just like dirtbike muffler clamps, the smaller ID goes onto pipe/header and larger ID goes onto muffler because OD of muffler is slightly larger than OD of pipe/header.

Thanks for the hint of sliding clamp onto muffler first.

Cheers

Phil:clap2:

Not a problem my friend, I sent a PM back with my #, give a call if you run into problems

:happy34:

Phil,

The smaller inside diameter is going to go onto the header of the bike, make sure you clean the corrosion off with some emory cloth. The mufflers might have to be stretched a bit and pursuaded to go all the way on. I also open up the clamp a bit and install it on the muffler before you try to put it on the header.

It can be challenging, but it will fit and wont leak, I have done many of them and once you have done it, it's a breeze to help someone else. Give a call and I can walk you through it.

Yes with a bit of persuasion! My persuader is on the floor next to the bike.

• 3 months later...