IGNORED

Trunk Latch Bracket Revisited (fixed)

I had previously posted a query about how to repair the broken rear trunk lock bracket which broke off the lid. A lot of suggestions forwarded and a lot of attempts 'attempted' but they failed unfortunately..

Even using the ABS glue and sealant, making a slurry trick didn't work (poor man's welding). No matter what I had tried, a day's ride and vibes would break the bond.

I can now happily say I have the lock bracket glued and secured in place for the past 2 weeks with a lot of locking useage, variable heat and humidity and vibes to really put the test to it and it's a good bond.. this one ain't going to come apart.

Ultra Bond Plastic Expoxy... It comes in a purple package, comes in the typical 2 parts mini-containers. You brush on one liquid to both parts and let dry 30 secs, and then apply a bead to one part, and press together for 30 secs.. full solid bond in 24 hours as most 2 part epoxies do.. I tried to find an online image of the package to make it easier for others to locate but to no avail.. Oh and when they say "caution, bonds skin instantly" they mean it.. kewl. The product causes the two parts to melt and bond, basically 'welding' to each other very nicely.

So, after 2 weeks, the bracket is rock solid and shows no signs of fatigue or re-cracking.

I still have the package in the trunk, if someone is desperate enough to need to see it I can do a pic and post it.. etc..

FYI to a fix that actually worked.. =)

Very nice of you to come back with a proper fix. This stuff sounds great. Where in NS did you get it? Should be available in NB also I would guess.

cheers

I got mine at Canadian Tire, automotive glue section.. it comes in one bottle for the cleaner and a squeeze tube for the glue..

Funny enough I couldn't find the same stuff at the Permatex website but they do show this product for ABS welding that should work:

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/adhesives_sealants/epoxies/Permatex_PermaPoxy_5_Minute_Plastic_Weld.htm

The stuff I got has the UPC 302113 if that will help you..

I've since fixed someone else's cowling on their bike and it's holding up quite well.. at least it's not flapping in the wind hanging on by the decal anymore lol..

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Well, after quite a few months of the final fix to the trunk latch bracket, I am happy to report that the 'weld' is still holding strong and firm with no signs of weakening.

I was a little worried that with the cold weather it would be brittle but hey, it's still holding good and strong.

See original article for the fix. It worked great for me!

(they make snow chains for bikes, right?)

Cheers

• 3 years later...

Hey Seaking,

Thank you for the information, has happened to my 07 RSV. I'm not much on posting on this great site, however, when there is an absolute need, I'm on it!!

ALSO, THANKS TO DON FOR HELPING ME OUT WITH LEADING ME TO YOUR ARTICLE!!!

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I'll let y'all know how I made out!!

Cheers,

Hey Seaking,

Thank you for the information, has happened to my 07 RSV. I'm not much on posting on this great site, however, when there is an absolute need, I'm on it!!

ALSO, THANKS TO DON FOR HELPING ME OUT WITH LEADING ME TO YOUR ARTICLE!!!

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I'll let y'all know how I made out!!

Cheers,

Glad the fix worked for you.. I can happily say that the fix has still held to this day..

Cheers

I had previously posted a query about how to repair the broken rear trunk lock bracket which broke off the lid. A lot of suggestions forwarded and a lot of attempts 'attempted' but they failed unfortunately..

Even using the ABS glue and sealant, making a slurry trick didn't work (poor man's welding). No matter what I had tried, a day's ride and vibes would break the bond.

I can now happily say I have the lock bracket glued and secured in place for the past 2 weeks with a lot of locking useage, variable heat and humidity and vibes to really put the test to it and it's a good bond.. this one ain't going to come apart.

Ultra Bond Plastic Expoxy... It comes in a purple package, comes in the typical 2 parts mini-containers. You brush on one liquid to both parts and let dry 30 secs, and then apply a bead to one part, and press together for 30 secs.. full solid bond in 24 hours as most 2 part epoxies do.. I tried to find an online image of the package to make it easier for others to locate but to no avail.. Oh and when they say "caution, bonds skin instantly" they mean it.. kewl. The product causes the two parts to melt and bond, basically 'welding' to each other very nicely.

So, after 2 weeks, the bracket is rock solid and shows no signs of fatigue or re-cracking.

I still have the package in the trunk, if someone is desperate enough to need to see it I can do a pic and post it.. etc..

FYI to a fix that actually worked.. =)

I had the same thing happen to my 07 RSV. I was able to reattach the latch by bending some soft metal drill a hole in the metal and latch and secure with 2 small screws. It seems to work well as this repair was made several months ago but I would like the option of the epoxy should I need it. I have looked at the Canadian Tire web site and was unable to locate Ultra Bond Plastic Epoxy. I’d appreciate any additional info on the product. Thanks

Nice repair job.. Looks like your ABS bracket broke in the same place mine did..

If you can't find the original product, you can use JB Weld to reinforce the corners of the bracket. Put a heavy bead of JB Weld in the inside corners of the bracket and then install your tang, wrapped in plastic, so the JB Weld doesn't stick to it, and after the Weld cures, you can pull off the tang, unwrap it and still be able to move it to adjust it for a tight fit when re-installed.. The JB Weld makes the bracket that much stronger and will hold up for quite a while.. I've repaired a couple of other ABS parts with it and it works well.

Cheers

Here's an article I came across about welding ABS plastic with something called MEK.

http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=595db2805134abd1fcb2d1236dfb9da0&topic=73807.msg108317#msg108317

I haven't tried to find this stuff but I saved the article just in case.

Interesting if it would work in this application of the trunk latch bracket where you need to 'butt end' join the broken pieces, and not overlap join them like the article describes.. there's a huge application difference due to the surface contact coverage.. but I'm thinking it would work if you were to bond in a the narrow curved strip of ABS pipe inside the latch mount where it usually cracks to give it more strength and bond coverage surface?