IGNORED

Carb Diagphrams - repairing liquid tape or Plastidip?

Hey Ventureriders

I patched up my diagphrams with liquid electrical tape last year and they worked great, however when I took the carbs apart last weekend to clean them I found the liquid tape was peeling off. I heard that some guys are using Plastidip for this and was wondering if it lasts longer. :detective: :confused24:

I know the real solution is new ones but 2-3 hundred bucks are not that easy to find and this Forum is 'poor man tips and fixes.'

Good post PEIslander , I wondered :detective: if the aforementioned products could be utilized in a patch up job, on the diaphrams, as well. what process did you use prior to apply ing, Did you clean the surfaces with a soapy solution or a solvent like say, "acetone." Maybe the surface around the holes needs to be roudhed up genyly with a fine sand paper, to achieve better results, with the adhesion problem. JAT Wayne

O.K., my middle name is "Mcgyver". I had the diaphrams with holes in them, after seeing the price to replace, I used my best friend "Silicone". I cleaned them with an alcohol prep pad and smeared a thin layer over the holes. Seems to have held fine......:happy65:

My experience with Silicone coming in contact with gasoline has not been good. The silicone gets all gummy. I am assuming that the diaphrams are in contact with the fuel??? Or maybe not.

Whatever you use, it might be wise to do a test first. Put some of whatever compound you are going to use on a piece of scrap material and immerse it in fuel for a few days to see if there is any adverse reaction.

Hey Ventureriders

I patched up my diagphrams with liquid electrical tape last year and they worked great, however when I took the carbs apart last weekend to clean them I found the liquid tape was peeling off. I heard that some guys are using Plastidip for this and was wondering if it lasts longer. :detective: :confused24:

I know the real solution is new ones but 2-3 hundred bucks are not that easy to find and this Forum is 'poor man tips and fixes.'

Once they start getting holes in them, it's a constant battle to keep ahead of the perforations, along with the possiblity of some of the goop smeared on the rubber coming off and screwing up the carb, it just isn't worth it. Flatout Motorcycle wants $174.04 US for the four, but I have seen them for about $35.00 ea. To me that is worth the change to new.

http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

To clean the diaghrams I used soapy water and then when dry wipe them down with pure alcohol to remove any remaining traces of grease oil etc. I then applied the liquid tape to the areas on the diaghrams where there were holes or creases.

I have redone them with the plasti dip yesterday and instead of just puting a dab on the hole, I used a brush and put a thin layer on the whole surface of the rubber diaghram and after that dried I rechecked and touched up a couple of spots. With the plastidip on now the rubber is flexible and you can hardly tell its on there since I applied a thin layer.

My biggest concern is how long it will stay there and if it will peel off like the liquid tape did. There have been posts where Plastidip was recommended but I can't find them now. I agree that this is probably not a good place to use silicone.

BTW: How do you spell diaghram??:)

This is an interesting thread as I have several carb sets that will need to be patched. Replacing with new is out of the question for someone whose pockets are fairly shallow. I did pick up an NOS OEM diaphram off Ebay a while back for $32 bucks, but I'd really like to know where we can find them for $35!!

plastiDip------------------outstanding stuff----------recently I was in the 'hill country' Texas------------was heading N. on 336 over the 'cattle guards' I felf my #2 cylender drop out ----------finished the ride>returned to the motel: did the {feel each cyclende} #1-#3 #4 were HOT #2 was warm----------------removed the top cover-------removed top of air breather box-------------took filter out------then was able to watch diaphrams flutter as the throttle was bleeped---3 moved well #2 NO movement!!!!!! removed top of carb{#2] pulled diaphram-------held up-to light SAW small tear----------went the Home-Depot and purchased the plastidip by PERFORMIX-----------{{ in the spray}-------------taped around the black plastic soooo the spray would not get on the plastic Coated BOTH sides of diaphram----------let dry 30 min. resprayed again let dry overnite!-----------CHECK ALL the Diaphrams !!!!!!!!!!-if needed spray'em all: replaced carb. cover ------------synch all carbs, B on your merry way----------PLASTIDIP---a reasonable alternative to the $35-120 fer each one---------Hey the choice is yours :spend:mo money:or the PLASTIDIP----------:usa:

Thanks JR, I'm gonna have to give that stuff a shot. Funny thing. On the '87 the bad diaphram I replaced with the NOS is the one that isn't giggling when the throttle is blipped. The rest are doing great. I thought I'd checked to see if there were any leaks before putting it in....guess I didn't. I'm going to get this thing running right yet!!

I repaired a XS1100 with plasti-dip painted on and it held for 4 years till I sold the bike. I cleaned them with a few alcohol swabs. This was on the rubber manifolds, never had a problem with the diaphrams.