IGNORED

Starter switch died

dkaiser

Hello all,

Well my '87 VR left me sitting only 2 miles from home today. i have tested the solenoid and starter work, so I guess I am down to the starter switch unless I have missed something else.

I started digging into where the starter switch is and that is no picnic, any suggestions or hints?

Thanks

D

Get rid of the antique bike and buy a new 2nd gen. :rotf::rotf:Sorry could not resist. I would start by checking the safety switches and starter button. Unplug check and clean one at a time till it starts. Good luck Rod

Should have mentioned that, the side stand switch died last week, right now that is not in the mix, till I get a new on I have the wires wirenutted together.

My green neutral light comes on so I assume that the neutral safety is ok?

D

I know the starter switch isn't TOO difficult but it IS a tedious group of little parts... but I rather doubt the switch... could be, but I haven't seen this too much at all.

On the roadside... one LITTLE wire on the solenoid (toward the rear of the solenoid on my bike) is wired HOT directly to the HOT (and HEAVY) lug on the solenoid... the other small termnal can be grounded with a short piece of wire. This bypasses ALL safety sensor so you BETTER be in neutral as she's GOING to turn over!

here's the basics... (courtesy of one of our fellow members...)...

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/start-circuit.jpg

Edited by mbrood